9- A New Member Of The Family

Derek honestly doesn't know how it happened. They were out on a call, several units at the scene. It was just a small drug bust, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

He was one of the ones suppose to go in after the heat, to clear the house. That was probably where it started, that's when he found it. It being a small white bundle of chunk rolls, hidden in the bedroom closet. He picked it up, holding it close to his chest, like he would with one of his pups.

The puppy snuffled a little, Derek moving him not disrupting his nap at all. He was a big boy, obviously well fed. He was about the size of a new born infant, still pretty young. Derek carried the puppy outside, walking over to the Sheriff.

"John, what would you like me to do with this?" His father-in-law looked at him for a second, before cracking up.

"That's quite the look on you, Hale." Derek glared a little, adjusting the puppy in his arms.

"Should I take him to Deaton?" John continued to smirk.

"Sure, sure. We got this handled here, go ahead and handle it now."

"Yes, sir." Derek hurried away, not wanting any of the other deputies to see him. They would harass him about this for the rest of his life. He got to the vet's office in record time, it only being a couple blocks away. The vet smiled when he saw Derek.

"Hey, doc."

"What can I do for you, Derek?"

"I found this puppy at a crime scene, wanted to get it checked out."

"Bring it over to the table." Derek did, the puppy just flopping over and continuing his nap. Denton chuckled, doing a basic check up.

"She seems to be in good health, obviously well fed, no signs of any troubles. You've got a healthy girl, Derek."

"Girl?"

"That's correct." Although Derek didn't actually check, he assumed the pup was a boy.

"Alright, well I should be going." Derek went to leave but Deaton stopped him.

"Don't forget your dog."

"Uh, she's not mine."

"I can't keep her here. This is a vets office, not a rescue center."

"You can't just keep her in an open kennel?"

"Sorry Derek." Derek groaned, rubbing a hand over his face.

"Stiles is going to kill me." Deaton wasn't the bit sympathetic.

********

Derek wrapped the puppy up in his jacket, quietly opening the front door just a crack. He peeked his head in, checking if anybody was around. When Derek verified it was clear he tiptoed up the stairs, quickly and quietly going to his and Stiles' room.

He deposited the puppy on the bed, before stripping out of his uniform to trade it for a pair of sweats and a Henley. He looked at the puppy for a moment, sighing. Time to go face Stiles. He left the pup on the bed, going back down stairs to find his husband.

"Babe?"

"In the office." Derek followed Stiles' voice, finding the younger male behind the office desk, glaring at his laptop. Stiles had his glasses on, his hair was all ruffled, and his old tattered shirt had God knows what on it. He looked beautiful. Derek walked up behind Stiles, pressing a kiss to his husband's neck.

"How was your day, love?"

"Crazy. Clark thought it would be hilarious to flush Cadi's barbies down the toilet. Then Miranda tried to cook mac n cheese and started a small fire. And on top of that Cadi managed to break my phone. Toby is officially my favorite." Derek internally cursed, Stiles wasn't going to like Derek either pretty soon.

"Does my beautiful mate want a massage?" Stiles groaned as Derek kneaded at his shoulders.

"That'd be amazing." Derek continued down Stiles' back, pressing harder into the areas where he felt a knot. Stiles moaned, his head rolling back to rest against Derek's stomach and his eyes falling closed.

"Have I ever told you how much I love you?"

"Yes, multiple times, in several different ways." Stiles chuckled.

"Good, cause I love you a lot." Derek sighed, might as well get to it.

"Can you keep that in mind while I tell you something?" Stiles' eyes flew open, he moved so he could look Derek in the eye. He glared a little, his eyes squinting.

"What did you do?"

"It wasn't me."

"Derek." The alpha raised his hands in surrender.

"Okay, okay. So I might have brought home a puppy." Stiles stood up, the chair he was sitting in bumping against the desk.

"Derek!"

"It wasn't my fault! We found him at a crime scene, and I was the one tasked with taking him Deaton. She was cleared with a clean bill of health, but the vet said he couldn't keep her there. What else was I to do?"

"Take it to a shelter!"

"You know the only shelter around here is a kill shelter." Stiles threw his hands up, looking exasperated with Derek.

"There's no room for a puppy in our lives, Derek. We have four kids, and jobs, and lives. We can't handle a rambunctious, untrained puppy."

"C'mon, it won't be that hard. It'll teach the kids responsibility, and it'll give them something to do that makes them work together. It'll be great, we can do this." Stiles sighed, putting his head in his hands. Derek moved forward, wrapping his arms around his mate.

"And I'll pick up the slack when the kids aren't around. You won't have to lift a finger for this dog, I swear." Stiles shook his head, chuckling.

"No, dear, that's not how this works. A puppy is like another baby, it has to be equal responsibility."

"See, we got a whole village to raise this puppy. This will be great for our family." Stiles nodded, putting his hands on Derek's chest.

"Take me to this little monster." Derek laughed, leading Stiles to their room. The puppy was asleep again, curled up in the middle of their bed.

"She sleeps a lot." Stiles moved forward, picking her up.

"Oh my god, she's adorable. She's one of those dogs from the Target commercials."

"An English bull terrier."

"She's so cute." Derek smirked.

"So should I get the kids?" The kids freaked out when Derek brought them into the room. All of them screaming their heads off. After Derek got them to settle down, he lectured them on the responsibility a puppy takes, and blah blah blah.

"Do you guys understand?"

"What are we going to name her?" Derek face palmed, Stiles laughing. Great to know their kids got Stiles' attention span.

They ended up naming her Pies.