14- A Little Transition

Derek wasn't stupid. He could tell something was up with his youngest son. What that something was, he couldn't quite tell. But he was going to get to the bottom of it. Clark had been acting weird. If Derek thinks about it, he can tell it's been happening for a while and he just hadn't picked up on it. It was a very subtle and slow change in the fifteen year old.

Derek can't pinpoint exactly when it started, but he can pinpoint the first odd think he noticed. Clark has always been very outgoing, a young Stiles on steroids, but recently he hasn't been. He's been very quiet and withdrawn. Normally, during the day, he's out and about. Out with school friends, or his cousins, he's always doing something. 

When he is home, he's bugging his sisters. He's cooking or baking, playing video games with Cadi, running circles around Miranda, going on tangents that rival Stiles'. Lately though, he hasn't been going out. He stays home, but not with his family, he stays in his room. When he does make an appearance downstairs, it's only when he's expected to be.

He comes down for dinner, and family time, but otherwise he stays upstairs. When he is around, he isn't talking a mile per minute, or tugging on Miranda's hair. He sits quietly, only speaking when spoken to. Normally you can't get him out of the kitchen, he's always wanting to cook something. Derek hasn't seen him in there for longer than a couple minutes in weeks. 

He's still the smiley kid that allows his twin to braid his hair while they watch movies that he's always been, but Derek can tell it's forced. Derek wants to blame it on Clark being a teenager, wants to brush it off and say it's normal. But he knows his kids, and something just isn't right. He can smell it on Clark, he smells miserable and sad. It makes Derek want to lash out at whatever is hurting his kid, and curl protectively around him. 

But instead of letting his more animalistic side get the best of him, he decides using his words might be the better option. For now.

He knocked on Clark's bedroom door, waiting for Clark's voice to beckon him in, before pushing the door open. Clark is sitting on his floor, his back against his bed, with his laptop in his lap and earbuds in his ears. 

Pies was curled up next to him, glued to Clark's side. The damn dog was ten now, but she didn't like to act her age. Derek wasn't looking forward to the day she finally got too old. Bull terriers normally lived anywhere from ten to fourteen years, so hopefully they didn't have to deal with it anytime soon.

Clark pulls one earbud out when his father walked in, pausing the music he was listening to. 

"Ya, Pops?"

"Hey, kiddo. Can I sit with you?"

Clark nodded, scooting over a bit so Derek could lean against the bed too. Derek sat next to his son, ruffling his hair as he did. Clark huffed indignantly, batting his father's hands. Derek chuckled at his son's antics. His flailing reminded him so much of Stiles. 

"Your hair is getting long." Clark just nodded, looking anywhere but at Derek. "Do you wanna get it cut soon?"

Clark's head snapped in Derek's direction, his eyes wide. He shook his head frantically, pushing Derek's hand away from his hair.

"No! No, I-I'm good. I like it."

Derek was a little confused by Clark's reaction, but didn't say anything. He just nodded, raising his hands in surrender. 

"Alright, I was just asking. It looks good on you."

"Yo-you think so?"

"Ya, of course. You have great hair, you get that from me."

Clark scoffed, rolling his eyes fondly. Derek chuckled, bumping shoulders with Clark.

"Okay. Well I didn't come up here just to talk about your hair. I wanted to check in with you, see how you're doing."