12- First Date

Stiles tried desperately hard not to crack up as Derek stood defensively with his arms crossed, trying not to look like he was terrified of their sixteen year old daughter. Well, he wasn't so much scared of her, as he was of the innocent look she was giving him.

"What do you want?" Miranda looked offended, but Stiles wasn't buying it.

"Why do you always assume I want something? I can't just sit in the kitchen with my fathers because I want to spend time with them? That hurts, Papa." Derek shared a look with Stiles, the younger man struggling to keep in his laughter.

"Spill now, or the answer is no." Miranda seemed to have an inner debate, before deflating.

"Fine. Please don't get angry, Papa." Derek sighed, sitting down on one of the bar stools at the kitchen island. Stiles grabbed a (werewolf spiked) beer, cracking it open, before sitting it in front of Derek. The werewolf accepted it with a grimace, giving his attention back to his daughter.

"Alright, hit me." Miranda sucked in a breath.

"Ihaveadatetomorrownightandthey'repickingmeupheresopleasebenice." Derek blinked a couple times, before taking a chug of the beer.

"Please run that by me one more time, a bit slower." Miranda looked at Stiles for help, but her Dad lifted his hands up in a sign of 'you're on your own.' She sighed again, looking back at her Papa.

"I was asked on a date for tomorrow night. I accepted, but told them they have to meet my parents first. So they'll be here at six tomorrow to pick me up, can you please be nice." Derek took another chug.

"I.. You're grounded, so you can't go." Miranda let out an exasperated sound.

"Papa, you can't do that just because you don't want me to go. Daddy, please tell him he's being irrational." Stiles chuckled, putting a hand on his oldest daughter's shoulder.

"Go do your homework, I'll talk to him." A relieved look appeared on Miranda's face. She stood on her tippy toes, pressing a kiss to Stiles' cheek.

"Thank you, Daddy." She walked off, heading to her room. When Stiles heard her door close, he turned to Derek, smirking. His husband looked distraught, causing Stiles to hold in more laughter. He walked over to Derek, wrapping his arms around Derek's shoulders.

"Babe, it's not the end of the world. She has a date, so what?" Derek looked up, startled.

"So what? Stiles, our little girl is going on her first date tomorrow. And you say so what?" Stiles shrugged.

"She's growing up, it's the way of life." Derek looked at his husband like he was crazy, which at this point in their relationship, Stiles was used to.

"How are you so okay with this?"

"Because I've been preparing myself for her getting older for years, while you've continued to hold her in the position of your little princess. You still see her as that little girl who forced you into tea parties and make overs, who used to curl up with you on the couch and fall asleep against your chest.

"She's still that little girl Derek, but she's growing up. You can't ground her just because you don't want her going on her first date." Derek sagged against Stiles, resting his head against his husband's shoulder.

"Where's the time gone, Stiles? We have a son who's a junior in college, a daughter who graduates high school next year, and twins who will be high school freshman next year. They're all grown up. They don't need us anymore." Stiles sighed, pressing a kiss to Derek's head.

"Babe, that's not how it works. Just because they're growing up, doesn't mean they don't need us anymore. They're just simply getting older. We're still their parents, and they still love us. They're going to be mooching off us until the day we die." Stiles pressed another kiss to Derek's head, before pushing him into the upright position.