A Forgotten Friend | Ashley Goes Missing

'We're dancing round the kitchen in the refrigerator light.'

A Forgotten Friend | Ashley Goes Missing

We were lying on the grass, gazing up at the stars. Everything seemed to be perfect. I was about to tell Edward about my feelings when Edward got a call from his parents. That phone call shattered everything.

"Hello?" said Edward.

After a long pause, he said,"I'll be there in a few minutes, mom. Don't worry, I'll be there soon."

He disconnected the phone and ran his hand through his hair, an action he does whenever he is anxious about something. This scared me even more.

"What happened, Edward?" I asked. I braced myself for the bad news.

"Ashley is missing."

* * *

After the phone call, we drove straightaway to the Knights household. My confession could wait because for now, find ing Ashley was our first priority. I saw my parents were there. All of them were wearing worried expressions. Mrs. Knight told us that Ashley had gone to meet her friend who lived just five houses away and never returned. She even called her friend, Laura but Laura told her that she had already left her place about an hour ago.

I was a little antsy and so was Edward. We looked towards each other and nodded, it was like we could read each other's mind. We rushed out of the house and started looking for Ashley. We looked everywhere, asked every neighbour but Ashley was no where to be found. We even went to a park near Edward's house to look for Ashley but she wasn't there too.

As we were exiting the park, I saw a girl who looked about Ashley's age, sitting by the lake. I ran towards that girl, I wasn't sure if she was Ashley but I didn't want to leave any stone unturned. To my utter relief, that girl was Ashley.

"Oh God, Ashley! You scared us to death." I said as I hugged her tightly.

"Why? What did I do?" she asked looking as cute as ever.

"We thought you were lost. You didn't reach home. we called your friend and she said that you left about an hour ago. How could you be so irresponsible? You should've informed Mom and Dad that you were coming here." said Edward as we both pulled away.

"I'm sorry, brother. I got bored at Laura's place so I came here to sit by the lake." said Ashley and she ran towards Edward to give him a hug.

Edward returned the embrace and said, "it's okay, Ash. But next please inform us before going anywhere" she nodded while he continued, "Let's go now. Everyone must be worried."

When we reached Edward's house, everyone hugged Ashley one by one and scolded her for being so careless. Mrs. Knight insisted my parents to have dinner with them, so here we are sitting at the dining table of the Knight's and chattering.

"So Rachel and Edward, how's your project going?" asked Mrs. Knight.

"The project is going good. We've finished most of it and only the compilation part is left." I replied.

"Oh, that's great!" exclaimed Mrs. Knight and we all continued having our dinner. The rest of the dinner went well and then dessert was served. Mrs. Knight served brownie with ice cream for dessert and it was absolutely delicious.

I wish I could cook like her.

"One day. You will." said Edward. Did I just say that out loud? I answered him by giving him a smile. I was sitting by Edward's side through the whole dinner. Our fingers had brushed a few times and each time, shivers went down my spine.