Chap 1 "A Day With Adam"

Emylee's POV
I woke up on the first of May. Summer vacation has finally started for us college students and I wasn't going to waste a single minute. I showed and got dressed in dark blue denim shorts, a black crop top tee, and black ankle converses. I walked into my living room as a knock knock was heard. I opened the door and gave Adam a hug. He just looked at me and hugged me back. I invited him in and closed the door.
"So, what does my best friend have planned for our first day of summer together?" I asked.
"Emylee, we are going to the park," Adam smiled.
"Why the park?" I asked.
"That's where we first met and became friends," Adam asked. "Come on. I have a lot of things planned for the day and I don't wanna waste any time."
"Me neither," I smiled. We went to the park and he had set up a picnic for us. We sat down and he had made sandwiches. "This is nice of you."
"So, you never answered that question I asked a year ago because Blake needed you for something," Adam smiled at me. "Why do you have so many guy friends?"
"Girls, it's just constant gossip and drama that I want to stay away from," I replied as I shrugged. "Guess you could say I wanted to stay away from that. After that, I now realize I became the number one topic of every girl after we started hanging out together."
"Why?" Adam asked.
"When you were sixteen, you did change a little bit," I replied. Adam was confused. "Adam, you got tattoos, a lip piercing, and you got your ears pierced. Then, you got the bad boy imagine every girl dreamed of." I smiled as I looked at Adam. "They didn't think a guy like you would be interested in hanging with a girl like me."
"A girl like you?" Adam asked. "What is that supposed to mean?" I looked at him. "Emylee, you're my best friend. You know you can tell me anything."
"Just because I'm shy and keep to myself when I was younger, doesn't mean I couldn't hear what other people said about us," I replied. "People always thought we were an item, which we both knew we weren't." Adam put his arm around me and hugged me. "Like, back in middle school and high school, a girl and a guy couldn't hang out without others thinking they were a couple."
"What about Blake and Mike?" Adam asked.
"Blake was the captain of the dance team, which I was a part of," I replied. "And Mike was captain of the gymnastics team, which I was also a part of."
"What makes me any different?" Adam asked.
"Just our style clashes, or so that's what people think," I replied. "People call me classy, and people say you have swag. That's what I'm talking about, Adam."

Adam's POV
"Emylee, I don't care what others think about me, you, or us," I shrugged. "We are best friends and nothing's going to change that."
"I hope so," Emylee sighed. A basketball rolled over to us and stopped after hitting her foot. "Somebody lost their ball." She picked it up as a guy ran over to her. She threw the ball to him. "Try to make it into the basket next time."
"Well, I came to talk but looks like you got somebody," said the guy.
"She's not my girlfriend but my best friend," I replied.
"So, you wouldn't mind if I talk to her?" he asked.
"How about a game of basketball?" Emylee asked as she stood up. "One on one. If I win, you leave me and my friend alone."
"And if I win?" the guy asked.
"You can talk to me," Emylee nodded.
"I'm Brian," he replied.
"Name's Emylee," Emylee replied as he threw the ball at her. "Adam, you coming to watch?"
"You think I'm going to miss my best friend school some guy she just met?" I asked. "Not a chance."
"She's going to school me?" Brian asked. "I don't think so." After an hour play, Emylee had won. "She did school me. But how?"
"Hi, I'm Emylee Goinstead. Back to back champions and was the captain of the high school team three years running," Emylee replied. "Of course my senior year was three years ago." I smiled and draped my arm around her shoulders. "Nice knowing you."
"Told you so," I smiled. Emylee and I started walking back. "So, what are you doing tomorrow?"
"Blake is with me tomorrow," Emylee nodded. "We're going to see my Mom because it's her birthday weekend." I looked at her. "We celebrate Saturday and Sunday."
"Spending Sunday with Mike?" I asked.
"Yeah, he's picking me up at my parents' because we have a thing that we have to attend because it's been five years," Emylee nodded. "Well, it's only been a week since we all last seen each other but I've been part of this with Mike since I was five."
"Is this thing something that you can't tell me?" I asked. Emylee nodded. "I understand you not wanting me to get hurt but it would help if I got an idea."
"You knowing what I do would get you hurt," Emylee replied. "We can be friends but this thing could ruin our friendship and I can't stand losing you as my best friend."
"Emylee, you know I'm here for you no matter what," I replied as we got to her front porch. "And if not knowing this one thing makes you happy that I'm not in danger, then I respect that."
"Thank you," Emylee smiled. "Well, this is my stop." Her phone started ringing and she got out that one weird phone she has since she was fifteen because of that thing. "Adam, I have to cut our day short."
"It's okay," I smiled. "I understand you gotta do what you gotta do."