Chap 10 "Hurts Being Home"

Mike's POV
We finally got home to the Shiba house. Everyone greeted Emylee with hugs and gifts. "Ran into some trouble but I brought our girl home," I smiled.
"What part of Adam died do you not understand?" Emylee asked.
"Emylee, I am so sorry," Mia responded giving her another hug. "Mike, how can you not understand she's sad?"
"Everyone passes?" I questioned.
"How could you say that?" Emylee asked. "We're talking about Adam here! How could you forget Adam?"
"I know ten thousand Adam's," I replied. "Which Adam are you talking about?"
"You're no use," Emylee replied.
"Emylee," Mia called after her. "Mike! She's talking about the only Adam you two have been best friends with."
"Oh man," I replied, guilty. "I have to go and apologize." Mentor nodded. I walked around the city looking for Emylee but I didn't find her in any of her usual places. "Come on." I went to the beach and looked at the sunset. "Where are you Emylee?"
"Right behind you," Emylee replied. I turned down. "Down, you idiot."
"Oh," I said as I looked down on her. I sat next to her. "Why didn't you tell me?"
"I only know one Adam," Emylee replied as we watched the sunset. "Who else could I possibly be talking about?"
"Emylee, at least you know he forgives you and knows you didn't mean to betray him," I responded.
"I didn't want this to be his dying word," Emylee nodded. "It wasn't suppose to be." She looked at me. "He was suppose to have a life and family but he couldn't. He couldn't because of me. After everything, all I did was hurt him, even after that he still loved me." I sighed. "And now he's not here anymore."
"He's in a better place now," I replied as I rubbed her back. She leaned into me. "Just think about how happy he is now."
"He didn't go peacefully," Emylee nodded.
"Emylee," Barney replied.
Emylee got up and turned around. "Barney, Lee, Gunner, Caesar, what are you guys doing here?" she asked.
"We killed Vilian," Barney replied holding up a bloody pillow case.
"Is that his head?" I asked.
Barney nodded as Emylee smiled. "Thank you," she smiled as she gave Barney a hug. "For everything."
"And this is for you," Lee nodded. He handed her a shoebox. "It's everything Adam would've wanted you to have."
"Lee," Emylee smiled as she hugged him. "I thank you all for everything you've done for me, for Adam. At least I'll be able to sleep at night."
"Don't you worry, Emylee," Lee smiled. "We'll always be keeping an eye on you."
"Thanks," Emylee smiled.
"Let's get going," Barney smiled.
"Bye," Emylee smiled. They walked away. I stood up and looked at the box with Emylee. "Let's hope it's not a body part."
"Let's see what it is," I smiled. Emylee opened it and I held the lid for her. "She got out a picture of Adam in uniform and in the box were a bunch, and I mean a bunch of Benjamins. "So, what exactly are we going to do with all that?"
"Adam left his money to me," Emylee smiled. "I might find some good use for it and it wasn't left for you, so there is no we." She closed the box. "I'm going to give some of it to charity of course."
"There's the sweet and caring Emylee I know," I smiled. "Let's head back to the Shiba house." We went back to the house. "Hey guys."
"Emylee, are you okay?" Mia asked joining us.
"Yes, I'm fine," Emylee nodded. "But I think Christmas this year will be amazing."
"Let's hope so," Jayden smiled.
"She knows so," I smiled. "You guys will be happy."
"Well, I can finally be at peace now," Emylee smiled. "Adam's killer was killed and I know that I will always be protected."
"She has a crew behind her other than us," I nodded. "But they're cool. We should have them over sometimes."
"What are they?" Mentor asked, as if he's considering to have them come over.
"Trained assassins," I replied. "Kind of."
"Why don't you invite them over?" Mentor asked.
"You're kidding, right?" Emylee asked. Mentor nodded. "In three, two, one." There was a knock on the door. "That's them."
We all sat in the common room. "So, what do you guys do?" Jayden asked.
"We work for the government," Barney replied. "Hired to do dangerous jobs."
"Emylee was with us and we were to retrieve a case," Lee explained. "She accidentally tripped the detonator and we had a minute."
"She was a ticking time bomb," Caesar replied.
"But I managed the case before we were blown up," Emylee smiled. "Just be glad that we got the case and none of us were hurt."
"Or in your case, cut in half," Barney nodded. "That spring door was heavy."
"Did you deactivate the bomb?" Mia asked.
"I wasn't able to," Emylee nodded.
"When I found her, they were pinned down but the Sangs," I replied. "I was able to save them and get the job done."
"Do you have a team?" Caesar asked.
"On the trip, no, but here, yes," I nodded. "Emylee's a part of us. It was my job to bring her home."
"It was my job to protect her," Barney replied. Lee looked at Barney. "Well, he protected her most of the time."
"But I didn't need it," Emylee nodded.
"Does it feel good to finally be home?" Lee asked. "Off the battlefield; knowing your best friend's killer has been brought to justice?"
"Actually, it hurts to be home," Emylee replied. Everyone gasped. "You're all acting like it's a bad thing but I'm serious."
"Em, why?" Jayden asked. "I thought you loved being a Samurai."
"I do," Emylee replied.
"Then why does it hurt to be home?" I asked. "You should be happy when —" Emylee glared at me. "Ohhh! I know why it's hurting you and I can't fix that."