Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Excuse me? I'm sorry, I must have heard you wrong, say that again."

"I said marry me."

"No."

"It wasn't a question."

"Look, I know it's a really rash decision and I get, who wants to marry someone just because they got them pregnant but you have to understand, my mother will never accept me or this child if they were born out of wedlock, especially with some random guy I met in a bar." I say in one breath.

"She's your mother she has to understand, right." He responds turning in his chair to look at me."

"My mother is a hardcore Catholic, if I tell her this child is being born out of wedlock, you don't even wanna know what she would do." I shudder at the thought.

Lucas starts the car, leaving the hospital parking lot, merging onto the main road.

Suddenly an idea pops into my head, "What if you don't actually have to marry me."

"So faking it?"

"Yes, exactly. I tell my mother we're getting married, we stage a wedding and announce I'm pregnant after."

"That in no way is a good idea."

"I don't see how it could go wrong, what's your problem."

"So many things could go wrong with that, a fake wedding, really.

"Fake engagement? No wedding necessary."

"My God, you really are crazy."

"I'm not crazy, just really stressed out."

The remaining moments of the ride back to his office are spent silently, except for the music coming from his radio. When we reach his workplace I thank him for the ride, get into my car and drive home.

Walking into my apartment I drop my purse by the front door, kick off my shoes and plop myself on the couch. It may only be noon, but I'm ready for a nap.

Whatever you do, don't answer this call.

It's your boss.

Don't answer .

I repeat, don't answer.

Laughing at the pre-record ringtone I made specially for my boss, I go against all my better judgement and answer the call, "Hello."

"Miss Williams, why weren't you at work today?"

"Today's my day off."

"Did I say you could have a day off?"

"Sir, it's my day off and I'm trying to enjoy it."

"You were needed today, Jessica."

I'm sure because nobody else knows how to sit around, type and make calls all day.

"Well I'm coming to work tomorrow sir, don't you worry."

"And don't be late!" He yelled as he ended the call.

I can't stand that man, but the pay is good. It's a real shame. Leaving my phone on the coffee table I close my eyes for a long needed nap.

💤 💤 💤 💤 💤 💤 💤 💤 💤 💤

It's a little after four when I wake up so I go into my bedroom and change into something more comfortable on. After I change I walk into the kitchen in search the fridge for food.

Spotting the bread I take it out along with the peanut butter and a banana. One of the best things I have ever tasted is a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Cutting up the banana I quickly grab my phone from the coffee table and put on some music.

Half way through the sandwich my cell starts ringing.

"Hello?" I answer without looking at the caller ID.

"Hey girl hey!"

"Hey Adri, what's up?"

"What, I'm not allowed to just call my best friend for fun?"

"Knowing you no."

"Harsh"

"What do you want? I was in the middle of a very delicious sandwich."

"Nothing actually, I was thinking of you and decided to call."

"That was nice of you."

After talking for some more time we hung up and I could finally get to finishing my sandwich. On my second bite, someone knocks on my door, "Maybe I'm just not supposed to finish my sandwich."

The knocking becomes more constant.

"I'm coming!" Opening the door I get the biggest surprise ever.

"Lucas? What are you doing here, how did you find my apartment?"

"That's not why I'm here, I thought about what you were talking about in the car..."

"And?" I ask

"Here." In his hand is a diamond engagement ring.

"Holy shit."

I know this chapter was short and I'm sorry, it's really just a filler to be honest.
I wanna thank you guys for all the support and the read, you have no idea how surprised I was when I looked and saw 1.5k reads like I thought there was some sort of mistake I didn't think there would be that many in such short amount of time.
So in spirit of the 1.5 I decided to give you guys a chapter, it's short but better than nothing.
Next chapter will hopefully be up soon, have a wonderful day, afternoon, evening and night.

Lest We Forget, Happy Remembrance Day tomorrow.