Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"I can't believe that you left your Christmas shopping until the last minute." Maggie scolds me.

"This technically isn't the last minute." I tell her seeing that it's the day before Christmas eve.

"Well it's still pretty late to be shopping, don't you think?"

"Meh, it's better than doing it tomorrow." I point out.

"How did you manage to convince Lucas to let you come with me?" she asks. He feels that I shouldn't be walking in my 'condition' as he likes to call it.

"I didn't have to convince him, I told him I was going to the mall with you." I told her simply.

"And he was okay with that?" she asks me incredulously.

"Now I didn't say that, but he knows not to fight me because we al know who will win that fight. He's probably just gonna do some work and take Jake to the park anyways"

Maggie just chuckled but didn't respond. The cheery tune of Jingle Bell Rock was playing through the entire mall as Maggie and I walked around finishing up our Christmas shopping.

"So what do you think I should do about Lisa and John's presents?" we had been walking around for a while and I had already gotten pretty much everybody else's presents.

I got Lucas a instruction manual and some new Hugo Boss cologne along with seven new ties, one for everyday of the week. I bought Jake a new plush toy that's talks when you push the different buttons or squeeze it. I  got Maggie a mug that says New York on it along with a hair dye kit. I was even able to get Brian a gift, a Bob the Builder mug and some cologne.

"Hmm, well I got John the box set of the Law & Order SVU TV show and I got Auntie Lisa a new tea set."

"How does that help me, exactly?" I don't understand how that's supposed to help me in any way, shape or form.

She was about to respond when her phone started ringing. "Oh Mel is calling."

She answers her phone as we enter the food court. As she talks I look around and try to figure out what to eat out of all the glorious options. Taco Bell, Burger King, Quiznos Sub, Popeyes, CiCi's Pizza or Nathan's.

This is such a hard decision. Soon enough I decide to have Nathan's, the mini corndogs are calling my name. Looking over I see Maggie is hanging up the phone, a sullen look on her face. "What's wrong?"

"Mel doesn't think she'll be able to come home for Christmas. There's supposed to be this big snow storm and all of the flights are already booked." she says.

"Won't this be the first Christmas she's spent away from home?" I ask curiously.

"Yeah, poor Aunt Lisa I know she's been looking forward to her coming down."

"She's already called and told everyone the news?"

"Yeah, she said she tried to call you but couldn't reach." I take my phone out of my purse only to realize that it's been on silent.

"Wow, what about connecting flights?" I ask.

"I don't know, there probably won't be that many seeing as most people only want to come here for New Years Eve and if they are coming down they're probably already here."

"Man, that really sucks." I say. We change the topic to something a little happier and get our food then continue shopping.

On our way to the parking lot Maggie turns to me.