Chapter 31: The thing about love

Noah P.O.V
The gorgeous girl looks at me, sadly and says, "We need to talk."
I look at her, trying to remember. "I'm Rebecca Evans. I know you don't remember, but we were dating." she states, waiting for my reaction.
"Rebecca? Really?" I said, getting frustrated. Is she kidding? Or what?

"You called me, Becca. Look, I know that you think that I am a some kind of desperate, wannabe stalker girl. I just wanted to see if you remember or not." She said, answering my question. I shake my head, slowly.
"Oh, okay. Um, I hope you get better, soon." she stammers, as tears well up in her eyes and spill over.

She takes a deep breath and leans over and kisses my cheek and whispers, "Bye, sweetheart" in my ear.
She exits the room without another glance. Why do I have a feeling that I heard her call me, sweetheart?
Rebecca Evans. Babe? What? I clutch the covers of my hospital bed as memories wash over me.

My head throbs as memories flow through my brain. Jumping off the airplane. Our first kiss on the island. Celebrating her birthday. Sleeping beside her in her bed. Car wash. The Homecoming promise , I had made with Becca.
Overwhelmed with so much memories. I lose consciousness.

***

I open my eyes to see my mom looking at me, with concern. "Honey? Are you alright?" she asks. I throw back the covers of my bed and jump out of bed. I dash into the hall, down the stairs and run out of the hospital. Shit! She's gone! My mom grins.
"So you remember? Tonight is the homecoming." she says, holding out a tux.

I sit down on the waiting bench and sighed. What if she didn't want to date me, again? How much pain have inflicted on her?
I bury my face in my hands. It seems selfish for me to suddenly demand to continue our relationship.
Mom sits beside me and says," Promises are promises."

"I don't want to hurt her, more. But I love her, mom. I don't know what to do." I said, looking at her.
"Oh, honey, that's the thing about love. Love is never easy, love does not accept easily. It challenges you, it taunts you and confuses you.
Love requires patience, choices and self-sacrifice." she says, patting my shoulder.
I look at the tux, anxiously.

"It's up to you, honey. Do something that you won't regret." she advises as she kisses my forehead. She gets up and leaves.
Becca could easily slip away from me and I never forgive myself. I grab the tux and enter the bathroom to change.
It could be possibly the most stupidest or smartest choice, but it didn't matter. It was Becca that mattered.