Nightmares

The great hall was packed, excited chatter filled it to a roar as the students waited anxiously for the goblet to choose the champions. Caelen crawled up into her father's lap, the chaos in the room making her nervous.

A hush fell over the room as Dumbledore made his way towards the goblet. The goblet hissed and spluttered a fire roared from it causing a hush to fall over the room as it spit out the first name. Professor Dumbledore reached out his hand to catch the fluttering scrap of paper as it fell into his hand, "the Durmstrang champion is, Victor Krum."

A cheer went up from the crowd, Caelen buried her head into her father's shoulder attempting to drown out the noise.

A hush announced the appearance of he second champion's paper, "the Beauxbatons champion is, Fleur Delacour." There wasn't much time to cheer before the next paper appeared. Dumbledore smiled reaching out for what he knew would be the name of his schools champion, "and the champion for Hogwarts is, Cedric Diggory, you have your champions for the tri-wizard tourn-" Dumbledore was cut off as the cup sizzled a fourth time. The room stared in shock there was only meant to be three, why was it releasing a fourth name?

Dumbledore reached out grasping the unexpected fourth slip of paper from the air, "Harry Potter?" He called in a slightly questioning tone.

Caelen gasped looking up at her father, "I thought Harry was too young to enter?" She whispered puzzled.

"He is cub," Remus responded patting her back subconsciously, "he shouldn't have been able to enter." Remus sat her down on the ground, "go stay with Fred and George while I go with the others to see what's happened ok?"

Caelen nodded her head obediently, "yes daddy."

She watched as Dumbledore dismissed the students before he and most of the other professor walked away into the trophy room, "what do you think is going on?" She whispered to Fred, who had scooped her up the moment she'd neared him.

Fred navigated the halls, carrying his honorary sister, up to Gryffindor tower, "I dunno but I wish I knew how he did it!"

"You and me both brother," his twin agreed next to them.

"You really think he managed to get his name in the goblet past Dumbledore's age line?" Caelen questioned in disbelief.

The twins shrugged in unison, "don't know we'll have to wait and ask him."

<--->

Caelen was sound asleep between the redheaded twins by the time her father came to collect her from the tower. He smiled at the site, the resident jokesters sitting protectively near his little girl. Her tiny feet lay on Fred's knees her head resting against George, "thanks for looking out for her fellas," he whispered walking towards the boys.

"No worries professor," one of the boys, Remus couldn't tell which, responded.

The other nodded his agreement, "she's practically our sister at this point," he added patting the girl's shoulder gently.

Remus smiled lifting her gently into his arms, "see you boys tomorrow," he stated before climbing through the portrait and disappearing down the hall.

Casting a quick spell Caelen's clothes switched to her pajamas without stirring the sleeping child.  Remus brushed her hair from her face gently, kissing her forehead, "goodnight cub, daddy loves you," he whispered. His heart swelled with love as his little girl rolled, snuggling into her pillow a gentle sigh passing her lips. He chuckled lightly as he headed to his desk in the adjoining office.

Dear Sirius,
How're you? Hopefully Well, I don't know if this letter will reach you? Or perhaps Harry will owl you himself. I suspect someone's after the boy again, his name was chosen out of the goblet of fire this evening. Harry swears he had nothing to do with it and frankly I believe him. I wish you were able to be here old friend, I worry I won't be able to protect him and Caelen on my own. Snape is his usual surly self, for some unknown reason my cub has taken a liking to him. I've decided to let it go, she opens up to so few people as it is, but I can't say I'm thrilled. Write when possible, I worry about you.