Fury of a fearful child

Severus had arrived shortly after, breezing into Grimald place in his usual dramatic manner, cloak billowing behind. Whatever curse Remus had been hit with was nasty, causing both internal and external bleeding. He'd gotten to work immediately chanting incantations calmly but quickly over the suffering man.

Through it all, the hours Snape spent working over Remus, one thing never changed, Caelen. Her tiny voice wafted through the closed door of the sitting room they'd brought Remus too. She was sobbing softly pleading every few sobs, "please let me see my daddy, please?"

Snape sighed as he closed up the final bleeding wound before thrusting a potion into Lupin's face. "Here blood replenishing." He growled out before heading swiftly towards the door. In one swift motioned he swept up the small crying girl carrying her to her father's side, he'd never have admitted it aloud but the sound of her begging broken voice had wrenched painfully at his emotions. He prided himself on his ability to distance his emotions and his focus but Caelen's cries agitated him beyond anything else, "there, he's going to be fine Caelen," he growled briskly. With that statement, the dark man swept from the house as if he hadn't been there to begin with.

Caelen's hands ghosted over Remus' chest inspecting his newly acquired scars. His shirt lay tattered and bloody where it had been discarded in the rush to stop the bleeding. "I told you you should have brought me," she whispered a trembling smile gracing her lips, "look at you couple months without me and you nearly...you n-nearly d-d-die." She stammered out the last before bursting into tears.

Remus pulled his daughter to him holding her gently against him as she sobbed. "It's ok cub, it's ok." He soothed gently whispering reassurances. "Shhhhh shhhh I'm here I'm right here it's ok."

That's where they stayed, Remus resting on the couch, Caelen plastered against him sniffling softly even in sleep. "Gave us quite a scare mate," Sirius' voice whispered from the doorway, careful not to wake the sleeping child.

"Sorry bout that, got through to most of the younger werewolves though." He said it triumphantly, grinning as if his current state were unimportant.

"Remus you bloody well almost got yourself killed!" Sirius snapped frustrated at his friend's brash actions.

Remus glanced down, he wasn't ashamed, not really, he stood by his actions. He'd accomplished the task given to him and, thankfully, managed to live through it. Still, he wasn't in the habit of worrying those he loved and Sirius' scowl pared with Caelen's continued sniffles did make him feel sort of awful. "I'm sorry I worried you." He apologized quietly.

Sirius sighed as he sat in a chair near the sofa, he leaned forward, elbows resting on his knees head in his hands. "Listen mate promise me something ok? You're my best friend, my family, nearly all I have left. You've got a little girl depending on you and, whether you want to accept it or not, a woman who adores you. Next time Dumbledore wants to send you on a suicide mission tell him to stuff it!"

Remus laughed, the kind of laugh you respond with when someone tells you to do something that in your mind seems all but impossible, "I'm just doing what's required of me to end this war Sirius, you'd do the same. James and Lily did the same."

"That's where your wrong mate," Sirius disagreed quietly, "no one believed in the cause more than James and Lily, but, when Voldemort threatened their lives, threatened their family, they didn't go out looking for him. They hid, Remus, they took precautions!"

"Lot of good it did them!" Remus snapped angrily.

"Yeah well they trusted the wrong person!" Sirius responded equally as frustrated. "Point is don't abandon the people that need and love you because you don't value yourself!"