So it Begins

Meriddion didn't see the slave again that day. She went to dinner with her father, hoping that he would find his way back to her room before she returned. She found her father already seated at the table when she arrived.

"Good evening, father."

"Your slave was wandering."

"He was coming back to the house from the quarters, father. He didn't have a shirt thanks to Gerald, I allowed him to go get one."

"Gerald didn't tell the boy to run away."

Meriddion chose not to argue with her father any longer, she knew that he would never go back on something he had said.

"Where is he now?"

"On the pole, 24 hours."

"When will his punishment be completed?"

"5:00 tomorrow."

Mary nodded and began to eat the food that had been set in front of her. As expected, Pierre had prepared a delightful meal with dessert to match.

"Mr. Parker called me today."

"Did he?"

"He's spending a week in Venezuela and doesn't want to leave his daughter home alone."

"Don't tell me you offered to let her stay here."

"Meriddion, don't be such a child. Cecelia is a nice girl and a very good friend of yours."

"According to you!"

"Meriddion," her father yelled.

"I'm sorry father, I look forward to Cecelia's arrival."

Meriddion excused herself and went to bed.

The next morning Meriddion woke at 8:30, showered and dressed in a simple outfit of jeans, a t-shirt and converse. She did her makeup normally and left her hair curly. She grabbed the keys to her vintage Ford pickup and went out in search of Ellie. She found the slave girl in the laundry room and asked if her old friend wanted to go to town. Ellie finished folding the jeans in her hand and followed her young mistress out the door.

Whenever the two went to town it was fun, they had grown to be close friends despite the age difference. Ellie was the best dressed slave on the plant because Meriddion didn't require her to wear uniform. They laughed as they tried on ridiculous outfits, buying some normal clothes and stopping for lunch. They walked downtown for a while before Ellie pointed out a bookstore.

"That's where he works."

"The beautiful, dreamy boy you've been telling me all about?"

Ellie blushed at Meriddion's description.

"Well, yes. I met him when I was down here buying your textbooks, and I've run into him a couple of times at the market, and pretended to be looking for books once or twice."

"You're smitten, Ellie. Let's go in."

"What? No! We can't go in."

"But I want to see the boy who's got you so head over heels," Mary whined.

"Oh fine."

With a triumphant grin Meriddion pushed open the door. The bell over the door dinged, causing the young man on a ladder putting books away to turn his head over his shoulder. As soon as he saw Ellie, he lost his balance and came crashing off the ladder. The two girls ran over to help, Ellie reaching him first and grabbing his hand to help him up.

She quickly stepped away from him.

"Are you alright, Peter?"

"Of course, I just lost my balance for a moment, who is this, Ellie?" He asked, indicating towards Meriddion, evidently thinking she was another slave.

"This is my mistress, Meriddion VanShay."

"I-it's nice to meet you ma'am," Peter dropped his gaze.

"Can I help you find something?"

"Oh, no. I'm just looking. Ellie, would you help poor Peter clean this up?"

Ellie shot Meriddion a hateful glare, the younger girl smiled a toothy smile and walked further into the store. Mary browsed for around an hour before making her way back to the front of the building where she found the young couple laughing in conversation.

"Are you ready to go, Ellie?"

The girl responded with a nod and said goodbye to Peter.

"I hope to see you again soon," he called as the bell sounded again.

-Photo:Peter