Ash

It was just after 4:30 when Meriddion got home.  She decided to go out to the gardens to make sure that Gerald or Henry didn't hurt the slave when they went out to take him off of the pole.

She found the boy tied to the post his hair hanging in his face as his head hung forlornly. He made a sudden move and groaned tugging at his ropes and throwing his head up. It was then that Meriddion saw his bloody nose and bruised forehead. She walked towards him and knelt down to get a better look at his face.

"What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything."

"I'm sure."

She turned his head to look at his nose.

"I don't think it's broken."

"That's good."

She removed her hand from his chin and sat back in the grass.  She watched him for a moment before speaking again.

"My name's Meriddion."

"I know."

"What's yours?

He looked at her, mocking shock.

"My mistress would ask the name of a mere slave?"

Mary sighed in exasperation.

"Ash.  My mom called me Ash."

Meriddion smiled.

"That's a beautiful name. It suits you."

Ash didn't respond. They sat for a moment

"Why are you here?"

"Thought I'd come to make sure there aren't problems with Henry or Gerald."

"One of them is coming? When?"

Meriddion looked at the watch strapped around her right wrist.

"Five minutes?"

"You're going to stand there for five minutes?"

Mary sat down on the ground in front of Ash.

"Better?"

He didn't respond, just looked away.  Mary leaned back on her arms and waited for one of the overseers to come.  Eventually, Henry sauntered into the clearing.

He knelt down in front of Ash and took the slave's chin into his hands. He stared into the boy's fear filled eyes, the fear quickly turned to hardened rebellion. He began to tug on the ropes. Henry  released the grip on the boy's chin and shoved his elbow into the boy's gut, taking his hand to slam the slave's head back onto the pole.  Meriddion watched as Ash's hair was thrown back out of his face and the pain became evident, Henry moved his arm back for another blow.

"Henry! Enough."

He looked up at her as though he hadn't noticed her presence. He growled and moved around the pole to untie the ropes. He did so, taking the restraints with him.

"Keep him in line, little miss," he spoke before stalking away.

Meriddion turned her attention to Ash.

"Are you okay?"

"Fine."

"Let's go get you cleaned up."