What on Earth

Lionel entered Cece's room and stood by the door, neither of the girls acknowledged his return. He cleared his throat.

"Mistress."

Cece looked at him in annoyance.

"What, slave."

"Ash wishes to speak to Miss Meriddion."

She raised her eyebrows and looked at Meriddion, who spoke to Lionel.

"Bring him."

Meriddion looked down, confused, what could he want? Perhaps he would try to kill her out of spite or something of the same foolish nature. Her eyes were brought to the door as the two entered, Lionel staying at the door and Ash coming to kneel at her feet. His eyes on the ground, not even looking at her feet that dangled off the bed.

"Well, speak."

He breathed slowly before opening his mouth.

"I'm sorry for my behavior. It was wrong of me to disrespect by betters so drastically."

She sat in silence, her mouth opened, but she didn't know what to reply, he couldn't be telling the truth, could he? He couldn't make that decision to change on his own. She didn't believe him, she couldn't believe that he would lie to her in such a blatant manner. He angrily struck him across the face. The sound of the impact surprising her, her hand began to sting where it had made contact. His head jerked to the side with more force than she'd expected. A small red welt formed just below his cheekbone. She remained still, not breathing as she watched him tense his muscles. She grimaced as she waited, this would be it, he would lurch at her and try to kill her. His turned his head to face forward, but he still didn't dare raise his eyes to look at her.

Thank you," his voice was weak, "Mistress."

Meriddion stared down at the slave kneeling before her, anger growing inside of her.

"Take it away. I don't care where just get it out of my sight."

She said to Lionel, Ash got up and walked out the door behind him. They began to make their way down the hall when Ash stopped to slam his fists against the wall.

"She doesn't believe me."

He said with frustration.

"Don't worry, it's just going to take her a little time to get used to it."

The two continued on their way until they reached the kitchen where Ash stayed to help. Lionel walked back to the girls' room, walking in as Cecelia was walking out her phone pressed to her ear.

He took his place by the door. Meriddion paid little attention to his entrance until she addressed him.

"Do you really believe he's telling the truth?"

"I do Mistress. He seemed to me to be quite repentant. He was rather distraught when you rejected him."

He replied, keeping his eyes down and hoping he hadn't over spoken.

"What on earth would cause it?"

"He has simply realized madam that he is no more than an animal, just like the rest of us."

That was the truth, wasn't it? Yes. It is what Meriddion had come to believe, so why was she having such a hard time trusting it?

"Where did you take him?"

"To the kitchens ma'am."

"Good."

Cece returned.

"Who was that?"

"My dad, he just wanted to check in."

"Is everything going well for him?"

"It would seem so, it always does."

"Shall we go walking?"

The girls left the room and walked out into the gardens where Meriddion had first met Ash. The flowers and trees were in full bloom, the view was beautiful. They walked over to sit on a bench under an apple tree. Cece reached up and picked two pure red apples, handing one to Meriddion. They sat for some time in silence before Meriddion spoke.

"Thank you, for Lionel's help. I believe he broke Ash."

"Posh Mary, does one horse help a master break another? You did that. Quite well actually. I thought he would start crying the moment you sent him out, he really does want to please you. You've certainly broken him."

Meriddion sat thinking for a moment, she knew that she didn't break him. There was no way that it was that easy.

"So did you hear, Rayven Berkley and Franchesco Rodriguz are going out again?"

"Oh my gosh, no way. They were perfect together in that movie they did."

"I know right."

And the gossip continued until Lionel came out telling them that dinner was ready. They got up, leaving their apple cores for Lionel to clean up, and went inside.