Cameron

Meriddion walked Ash back to the quarters to ensure that there was no trouble.  As she was leaving Ellie caught her.

"Hey, I have a question."

"Yes?"

"The bookstore, They're looking for hired hands and I thought maybe-"

She trailed off not wanting to finish her sentence, she knew that what she was asking would likely be rejected.

"Sure. You need anything from me?"

"Really? Thank you!!"

Ellie wrapped Meriddion in a hug which the younger girl returned.

"Just one condition."

"Anything."

"You have to tell me everything about Peter."

Ellie laughed and Meriddion followed in suit, happy for her friend.

"I'll get the papers tomorrow.  I'll just need you to sign them."

"No problem, I'm going to bed.  I'll see you tomorrow," Meriddion smiled and left.

She knew Cecelia would be arriving with her slave the next day.  She had never gotten along with Cece, the two had some very different views, especially when it concerned slavery.

Then next morning Ash woke, took a cold shower in the slave's quarters and began towards the house.  His assumption was that he ought to go to Meriddion's room, something he didn't mind doing.  She was different from the previous masters he had served, she didn't force him to do anything.  If he had to guess what they would do that day, he wouldn't think that it consisted of anything too unmanageable.

He walked into the kitchen, seeing as it was the only way he knew to get about from the slave quarters. Henry was coming out of the room just as Ash was entering.  By the time he realized, it was too late and the slave collided with the overseer. Henry growled at the boy and threw him against an empty wall. Ash crumpled to the ground in pain. To make it worse Henry kicked him until he could barely breathe and left him alone on the floor. Ahs groaned and leaned against the wall. A moment later he felt a hand on his shoulder.

He looked back around to see a handsome man maybe a year or so older than himself.

"Who are you?"

"My name is Cameron."

"Cameron?"

Ash recognized the name, but didn't understand how Cameron could be here, helping him stand up.  Meriddion had told him that Cameron was dead.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Ash spoke coldly. Not by intention, but because his focus was on trying to understand Cameron's presence.

"Where do you need to go?"

"Meriddion's room."

"What?"

"Meriddion, Miss VanShay, whatever the proper name is."

"You can't mean that."

"I do."

"I-I'll help you there."

"Thanks."

Cameron walked Ash down the hall to Meriddion's room, knocked, and waved goodbye as he walked down the hall.

Meriddion opened the door and smiled at Ash.

"Glad to see you made it."

"Yeah, Cameron is here," he got right to the point as he came into the room.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean someone helped me get here and he said his name was Cameron. He acted surprised when I told him I was coming to you."

"Ash, Cameron died."

"How do you know?"

Meriddion went silent, how did she know? Because her father had told her. What reason did she have to take him on his word.

"I need to go," she left him alone in her room.

She ran up and down the hallways, trying in vain to find the only person she had really cared for in such a long time. 

It was not until she stood atop the stairs to the dungeon that she saw him.

"Cameron!"

He turned around to look at her, seemingly surprised by her voice.

"Mary!" He started up the stairs, only mounting two before he stopped at looked up at her in fear.

"Mary, look out!"

She felt a hand on her back, and wasn't able to place anything as she fell.

Cecelia found Meriddion on the steps where she had fallen. She slapped her friend softly across the face.

"Riddy?"

Meriddion began to groan in pain.

"Lionel!"

Cecelia called at the slave behind her.

"Get her to her room! Now!"

When Meriddion woke she could soft pillows all around her and a blanket covering her legs. This wasn't where she had fallen, was it? She looked up to find Cece sitting on the end of her bed, concern in her eyes.

"Riddy. You're awake."

"How did I get here?"

"A slave brought you up."

"I should thank them."

"Why? They're below you."

Meriddion shook her head. Why had she said that? Cece was right. They were below her. She heard the door open and looked to find a black haired boy about her age enter with a platter of snacks. She thought she remembered him. Maybe he was her boyfriend? Wait no. Slaves tattoos on his wrist.

"Why didn't you knock."

Ash's head popped up from where he had been looking down. Why didn't he knock? He knew he should've but this was Meriddion. Why was she speaking to him this way? The red-headed girl on the bed next to Meriddion spoke.

"Either go out and do it correctly or she'll beat you."

Ash looked at Meriddion in confusion. She sat up in her bed and stared coldly at him, crossing her arms. He blinked and walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.  He turned around and held his hand up to knock, but stopped himself.

She was just like the rest of them. She had played him, more cleverly than any master that he'd had before.  Ash dropped the platter and ran.