The Ring

"It's your birthday, it's your birthday," Meriddion continued her jovial song as she danced around Daniel. He tried to stop her but she pranced away from him.

"You're really old now."

"I am not. I'm only 32."

"You're old."

"You sound like my sister."

"Like mother like daughter I guess," she stopped her movement.

"How'd she ever meet dad anyway? California and Georgia aren't anywhere near each other."

"He was here for school, you know the story."

"No, my dad never told me. He didn't like to talk about her, only hit me when I asked."

"I'm sorry."

"Today is a happy day. It's your birthday!" She sang again.

"It's not a big deal."

"It is so. Now come on. I'm taking you out since that girlfriend of yours isn't around anymore."

"Don't remind me."

"I won't mention it again." She grabbed her uncle's arm and pulled him out the door. Ellie and Peter were in the car waiting for them while Ash and Rylan were at the shopping center. Meriddion had dropped them off before coming to pick Daniel up since they hadn't had a chance to complete the task they had set out to complete. Ellie and Peter wished Daniel a happy birthday as he slid into the passenger seat.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

Meriddion put the car into gear and eventually handed the keys to a valet at the Ring-San Diego. Daniel glanced around as they walked inside.

"I've never been to a live fight before."

"It's your lucky day then."

The four made their way to a ticket booth where Mary and Daniel showed their IDs to a young woman. She led them behind a closed door to a small glass booth. It was raised just above the cement flooring of the Ring so that its occupants could view the entertainment whilst being free of the crowds.

"It must've cost you a small fortune to get these seats Mary."

"Not really," she smiled knowingly at the older man. They heard the announcer's voice through the speakers in the soundproof room.

"Fighting our first round are two champions in the making, the Rings own Trip the Terminator."

They could feel the rumbling of the masses feet.

"Who comes up with these names?" Daniel laughed.

"And a new face to our arena, Avan the Annihilator, a fighter who has recently changed hands, happy birthday Daniel Copperboard, you must be a happy man."

The announcer went on about the logistics and rules for the fighters as Daniel stared at Meriddion. The woman that had seated them placed her hand on Daniel's shoulder.

"You own that fighter?"

Meriddion answered for him, "he does."

"You should-uh-call me sometime."

She handed Daniel a card and strutted out of the room. Another woman brought them refreshments and eyed Daniel as she left.

"This is a girl gold mine."

"No kidding, look, the fight is about to start."

As Vaaru had promised the fight, though extended, was concluded with Daniels slave atop the other man. Avan the Annihilator emerged victorious and raised his fist. He looked directly to the glass box where his new master was sitting and placed his fist in his chest. He bowed and was led from the arena.

"I want to see him."

Meriddion smiled.

"I'll have them bring him here once he's been cleaned."

She rose to inform one of the older men who were standing guard just outside the door.

"I don't suppose I mentioned, this box is yours. You can come to any fight and all refreshments are complimentary so long as your fighter is standing."

"Meriddion this is too much."

"No. It's not, it's more than just a birthday present. You've done so much for me Daniel, I want to thank you."

"You didn't have to do all this."

"Well I did."

They silently watched the next fight as they waited for Daniel's new slave to arrive. There was a knock on the door and the large man was ushered in. Rather than the tight shorts and paint that he wore in the Ring he was clothed in only a dark maroon robe. A black clad man shoved him to the center of the room at Daniels beckoning and gave the fighter an order.

"Remove your covering. Show your master what he owns."

The slave did not raise his eyes as his fingers undid the knot at his waist. The robe fell open and he raised his hands to pull it off of his shoulders. It dropped to the floor leaving him nude. Daniel rose to inspect the slave, taking care to touch each one of his well toned muscles.

"How long have you fought slave?"

"Ten years master."

"How old are you?"

"Twenty-nine master."

"Who owned you before?"

"Vaaru Royale master."

"How many times have you fought?"

"More times than I can remember master."

"You've won them all?"

"All but three practice matches before I was put into the Ring master."

The slave answered all of Daniel's questions without missing a beat and Daniel sat down, satisfied.

"Bring the boy clothing and something to eat and drink. You'll stay here for the remainder of the fights."

"Thank you master."

The slave retrieved his robe from the ground and was soon handed clothing to change into. He sat on the floor at his new master's feet and ate his fill while other men fell victim to the Ring.

-Photo:Avan