Royale

When Meriddion and Ash finally arrived at Ring's Reign they were shown to an upper parlor where a Round was in process.  Meriddion wanted at her first entrance to turn around and walk right back out of the room but Ash grabbed her arm.

"If you want to make a good impression go in."

"Okay, thanks."

"Master Royale, Miss Meriddion VanShay."  The slave who had shown them up announced.

"Miss VanShay, a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is all mine Mr. Royale."

"Vaaru, please lovely lady, call me Vaaru."

"If you insist Vaaru."

"Won't you come and enjoy the fight with me?"

With hopes of appeasing her and Ash's host Meriddion went to sit on a plush white couch next to the man.

Two slaves were grappling within a ring that was drawn on the floor, each covered with so much blood one could not tell if it was his or the others.  Meriddion felt her evening meal rising from her stomach and diverted her gaze from the 'entertainment' to the man sitting beside her.

Vaaru Royale was the last in a long line of Ring enthusiasts at Ring's Reign.  He took after his father, who took after his father, who took after his father before him.  He had inherited the plantation some years before when his father had passed.  Meriddion assumed that the man was in his late forties.  He had dark hair and a full beard but most startling were his eyebrows which seemed to be an almost alien force that had invaded his face.  This oddity forced Meriddion's gaze back to the fight at hand.  One slave had straddled the other and was throwing all of his weight against his opponent's neck.

"Do all fights end in death?"

"Of course my dear, are you not accustomed to the ring?"

"No."

"Well if you are concerned with the humanity of it I assure you it does exist.  There are too many underlings in the world.  If our race is to excel we must reduce the underlings, this is more humane than a firing squad.  At least gives them a fighting chance at their own life."

"Underlings?"

"The slaves dear,  they are as worthless as the dirt we walk on.  They're underlings."

The bottom figure ceased to move and the slave on top rose shakily. 

"Well done underling! Well fought," Vaaru took the man's bloody shoulders into his own hands. "take to your rooms and find many pleasurable rewards for your accomplishments."

"Thank you master."

"Do all fight end in such gifts?"  Meriddion inquired as the slave was led from the room.

"Of course not, only for my best such as Lore there.  For the others their own life is enough but Lore has long outlived his potential he's more than repaid me the debt I gave when I purchased him. Now, it has been brought to my attention that you are here on a matter of preposition."

"Yes sir, my uncle enjoys the ring as you do and I hoped to purchase him a fighter of his own for his birthday."

"What a thoughtful gift.  I can assure you that you will find nothing but the finest fighters here at Ring's Reign."

"As my friends have persuaded me.  That is why we took the four hour journey to come here tonight."

"And weary you must be.  I've had rooms prepared for you both, take to them and we will discuss business in the morning."

"Yes, thank you Vaaru."

"You're most welcome darling."