A Plan

"See you guys later," Meriddion called before the door shut. Ash looked up from where he was seated at the kitchen counter reading a book near where Ellie was baking.

"Where's she going?"  He asked.

"I think they're filming today."

"Filming what?"

"The sequel to that movie she made.  Weren't you there when we watched it?'

"No, I was reading."

"Oh, well she told us they called her about doing a sequel."

"Oh." 

"Ash, try these cakes, tell me which one you like most."  Ellie pulled a plate from the counter and set it in front of him.  He took bites of all three.

"The chocolate.  It's the simplest, tastes good."

"You're right.  Do you think a dark chocolate would be better?"

"I wouldn't know, that's only the third time I've eaten chocolate."

"Really?'

"Yes."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know that."

"Well I'm here now, I guess I'll live with it."

"Look, Ash, I know you're still mad at Meriddion and you do have a right to be, but can't you give her a chance?"

"I want to Ellie, but she just...look for you it was easier to forgive her.  After she changed you still got to be with Peter and after she left it was just her dad that hurt you.  That's not the way it was for me. She hurt me Ellie, and I don't just mean emotionally. That came after she left.  She actually physically beat me.  I-I've tried to forgive her, I really have. But I can't."

"I'm sorry Ash, I didn't know."

"I know you didn't. I'm going to go downstairs." Ash left Ellie alone to clean up the mess she had made in the kitchen. Moments later Peter entered.

"Hey dear."

"Hi Peter."

"What's wrong?" He approached and held her from behind.

"I feed awful."

"About what?"

"Mary. I mean I know she made some mistakes but it wasn't entirely her fault.  She's trying so hard to make it better, just look at everything she's done for us, but Ash can't seem to forgive her."

"I know, she has changed, but do you really think you should get involved?"

"No."

"Then why are you?"

"Because for a long time she was my only friend."

"I don't like that look in your eye."

"I have a plan."

"What do you think you can do to make him forgive her?"

"Make him spend time with her."

"How do you plan to do that?" Peter laughed.

"Ash told me once about time he spent on Ring's Reign. Daniel's birthday is coming up, he likes the Ring. Ash could take Mary to Ring's Reign to help her pick out a birthday gift for him."

"Are you sure that's the best idea?"

"She asked me to help her figure out an expensive gift for Daniel anyhow, and this is the only thing I could think of. You know how much he likes going to the Ring."

"I do, speaking of which, he offered me an extra ticket for tonight's show. Is it alright with you if I go?"

"Sure, I have my last dress fitting as it is."

"I can't wait to see you in it," Peter smiled before kissing his bride to be.

The next day Ellie told Meriddion about her idea.

"Buying him a fighter?  I mean, is that too much?"

"I don't think so."

"Well wouldn't I have to hire an advisor?  I know nothing about fighters."

"Ash does. I already talked to him about it and he said he would go to Ring's Reign with you."

"He did?"

"Well he didn't use those words."

"What words did he use?"

Ellie coughed and hurriedly spoke.

"I would never deny my mistress but that doesn't matter."

"What am I supposed to do then?"

"You just go to Ring's Reign, you'll have to act like a mistress while you're there, and talk to Vaaru Royale.  He can help you, at least that's what Ash told me."

"You really think this is what I should do?"

"So much so I've already informed Mr. Royale that you'll be arriving tonight."

"Okay, I trust you.  I'd better go pack.  Can you tell Ash we're leaving soon?"

Though the ride was long Meriddion and Ash didn't talk.  Meriddion focused on driving and Ash had headphones in and music playing on the smartphone she'd given him earlier. Though she desperately wanted to talk to him she couldn't bring herself to ask him to talk to her.  He would only take it as an order.  Four hours got them across the state to Ring's Reign.  Vaaru Royale owned the third largest plantation in the country and was notorious for his love of the Ring.

The Ring had a whole manner of different purposes, the most popular being the underling fights. This is what Daniel was evidently interested in.

Meriddion hoped to spend as little time at Ring's Reign as possible, she herself wasn't too intrigued by the fights.