Eighteen

I just saw this fic on the discover page and I screamed a little.

"There's a party in a couple days," Louis spoke as we were about to leave the hotel room, we were going to dinner tonight, "I wanted to know if you'd be interested in that type of thing,"

"Of course," I love parties. I enjoy watching the people more than I like interacting with them.

Father says I need to pay close attention to human behavior.

"This isn't going to be like the party we met at was like, with the champagne and the white roses," He gave me a condescending look as we stepped into the mirrored elevator.

"Every party is like that," the only difference was the color scheme. White for winter, brown and reds for fall, pinks and greens for spring, and muted jewel tones for summer. I always loved the purity of the winter events, white goes so well with many things.

"Oh Harry, you are sheltered beyond belief. Do you even own s television?"

"No, Father says it's a waste of time and destroys nucleotides that have potential to create essential DN-"

Louis laughter cut me off. "Do you memorize everything your father says?"

"He often gives me trivia based questions over his rules, so I like to keep them in my mind."

"Your dad," Louis faced me, getting the same expression I've seen Gemma use whilst she interrogates, "He's a strict guy,"

"He just knows what best for me,"

"Does he really?" Louis asked as the elevator doors opened.

He does know best. He told me that he does.

I believe Father, I trust him.

"Where are we going?" Louis asked as we stepped through the doors.

"Sinclair's" I reached for his hand, "I made reservations,"

"We're going to a fancy place?" He intertwined our fingers, "I think I'm a little underdressed."

"Of course you are," I pointed out, "I'm underdressed as well,"

"And we're going to dinner like this?"

"Oh god no," I nearly scoffed, "oh, I apologize for my tone; but that's obscene."

Louis only gave me a questioning look in reply.

"We're going shopping, our reservation isn't for another hour,"

"Harry, I can't afford to go shopping right now," he protested as I called my driver.

"I'll be paying," I had thought it to be fairly obvious.

"But you can't" Louis gasped as the car pulled up. I had never taken the time to figure out what the model was, but Louis seemed to know; he mumbled the title under his breathe in amazement. "Won't your driver tell your father?" Louis asked as the car stopped in front of us.

"No, Marcus is driving today; he's a good man."  I trusted that Marcus would know to keep this one between us.

"Alright," Louis agreed quietly  as Marcus stepped out to open the door for us.

"You've company today Mr. Styles?" He spoke professionally. Preference was frowned upon, but Marcus was one of my favorites.

"Yes, Marcus," I gave him a smile as I slid into the vehicle, letting Louis come in after me.

"I think this is the first time I've rode in the back of a car without handcuffs on," Louis whispered.

"Why are you whispering?" Even if he didn't want Marcus to hear him, he can't. The barrier between the front and back seat is opaque and sound-proof.

"Didn't think you'd want your driver to know I've been arrested,"

"He can't hear through the divider," I pointed to the thick material.

"What?" He leaned forward, intrigued.

"Where to Mr. Styles?" Marcus' voice came through the backseat, causing Louis to jump back away from the partition. 

He looked around, "I thought he couldn't hear us!" He whisper-yelled.

"He can't" I replied, pressing down the com button after I was done with Louis, "Marcus, it would be delightful if you could please drop us at the Royal Gardens Strip," I let go of the microphone button to let Marcus reply.

"As you wish, Mr. Styles," his voice came, finalizing the conversation.

"As you wish?" Louis asked, "Are you that rich?"

I frowned at his tone, quickly removing the negative expression to a more neutral one after.

Of course my family was wealthy, but I didn't shove it in people's faces. I didn't flaunt it like something that would cause me to take precedence over someone else.

"I'm sorry," I looked away. I didn't want to upset him, but why would he be upset me over something that wasn't even brought upon by my own accord.

"Sorry for what?" He asked distractedly as he looked out the window; we were going through the wealthy neighborhood now, he seemed to be enthralled with the large houses. 

So he wasn't upset. Was that just how he speaks?

"Never mind," I mumbled as Marcus announced our arrival to the mall with a beeb through the intercom.

"This mall is huge!" Louis exclaimed, keeping the same amazed expression on his face as Marcus opened the door for him and he stepped out.

"Thank you Marcus," I handed him one of the smaller notes I had on my person.

"Call me when you feel ready to leave," he nodded with a smile, pocketing the fifty. 

"Let's go," I smiled at Louis, pulling him along by our intwined hands.

Surprisingly, I've never been to this particular shopping mall. I loved many of the stores here, but I don't think anyone knows my family here; hopefully it's safe to act affectionate towards Louis here because I really like to be close to him.

"Where are we going?" Louis asked, his eyes flitting around the surrounding area; soaking in the terrain.

"Nautica would probably be alright," I suggested, leading him towards the store, "They have nice sweaters there, everything's really cheap too,"

"Oh alright," Louis agreed, it was fairly chilly out. It was nearly December.

We entered the store, still holding hands. An employee approached us, "Hello, how can I help you?" He asked with a smile.

"Men's please," I smiled back, looking back up to Louis. His eyes still admired everything.

It was clear this wasn't the type of thing Louis usually does.

As the employee led us through the store, I pulled him down to eye level with me, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, yeah," Lou stood back up straight, "This store is huge! It's got to be the hugest store on the planet,"

The store wasn't that big. I could list many stores off the top of my head that were much larger. Even the Vineyard Vines across the street was a lot bigger, but to correct him wouldn't be very polite of me.