Chapter 2

"How was your first day of school son?" Dad greeted me at the door. He must have just got home as well, he was still in the brown suit he always wore when he was out looking for jobs.

"It was fine," I lied. Thinking about going back to school tomorrow actually made me want hurl but I didn't say that. It would just make him worry.

"Your mom is in the kitchen, why don't we go in there and get some coffee?" He smiled at me and pat my back twice. He knew when I lied and his way of comforting was coffee. Dad wasn't great at talking about feelings but he tried his best. It had been this way since before I could imagine. Maybe that's why I like coffee so much...

"Yeah..." I set my bag down and walked with him to the kitchen and sat at our table with Dad. Mom turned around with a tray of cups filled with coffee and cookies. She smiled happily, like the housewives in old movies. I thought about how we looked, probably a bit oddly matched. Mom and Dad fit each other like a puzzle. They had a beautiful cheerful marriage, one that people admired from afar.

"So, any thoughts about school?" She asked as she sipped at the coffee.

"It's alright..." I muttered as I took my own cup. The smell of the black coffee immediately made me feel at home and more calm.

"Any cute boys?" She asked nonchalantly. Coming out to my parents wasn't easy, seeing as confrontation has never been in my skill sets, but my parents have always been supportive, if not too hyped about the situation. This didn't make it any less embarrassing though.

"N-No!" I quickly denied, feeling my face become red.

"Don't embarrass him honey." Dad chuckled. "I'm sure he's a nice boy."

"Already having a boyfriend on the first day of school."

"Our popular little player huh?" Their awkward teasing would've gone on longer if I hadn't stood up.

"I'm going to my room now!" I shouted as I fled.

"Remember to unpack!" My mom called up as I left. They can be so embarrassing sometimes! I ignored her comment and sat on the bed with my coffee instead. I looked around my room and sighed. Everything was still in boxes. I hadn't even unpacked my T.V. or laptop yet. I pulled my bag over and decided to work on my homework instead.

~Craig~

I got home, it was a straight shot to the basement. I didn't bother to say hi to Mom or Dad, it's not like they cared. They may even be annoyed if I intruded on their "happy marriage". I was surprised to see a light in the darkness of the basement instead of pitch darkness.

"Ruby?" The light illuminated her pale face. "Why are you down here?" The basement was supposed to be mine. It was colder down here and the heat didn't reach it as well, Mom and Dad of course got the master bedroom and usually Ruby hated it down here.

"It's a free country." She replied in an annoyed tone. I turned on the light and saw her shield her eyes. I went and sat down by her on the couch. She sat up from her lying position to make room.

"Seriously, I thought you hated it down here." I continued, turning on the TV.

"I do. It smells like you and I bet there are colonies of spiders just waiting to pounce on us any second now. It's just that..." She didn't have to finish her second. The familiar sound of muffled yelling and loud thumping came from above us.

"Oh, I see." I muttered. They're fighting again. Mom and Dad fought all the time but today it was louder, usually I couldn't even hear it down here. I flipped through the channels and ended on some rerun episode of Family Guy. I turned it up loud in an attempt to drown out their bickering. Ruby continued playing on her phone.

Ruby and I have never been all that close. We fought more than most families and we didn't talk or play together like most siblings, but she was my closest thing to a companion at home. If the parents were fighting we'd join forces to get through the issue together.

When it was time for dinner I ran upstairs and made two sandwiches and grabbed a bag of chips for Ruby and I. I did it all as quickly as possible, I know from experience that getting in the middle of their fights was a bad idea.

"Here," I handed Ruby the sandwich and she glanced up at me.

"You're so good at cooking Craig," She said sarcastically. "Thank you."

"Yeah, whatever." I replied and began digging into my own sandwich. We watched cartoons and sat in silence for the rest of the day. When it was around 10 I decided I'd go to bed.

"Shouldn't you go back to your room?" Ruby hadn't moved from her spot in a while. It was cold and she was only in her sleep shorts and a big T-shirt that, now upon closer inspection, she probably stole from me. I expected her to leave after an hour of being down here but with our parents fight still going, she stayed. They'd usually ran out of fuel after an hour or two but this fight seemed like one that's continue into tomorrow.

"I'll sleep down here tonight. I can still hear them." She muttered and shivered in her spot. The sun had set and the temperature was dropping outside and in the basement.

"You're gonna catch a cold idiot." I felt bad about my harsh words as soon as they came out. I knew she wouldn't say it but she was cold, sad, and felt alone. "Want my blanket?"

"Thanks Craig." She jumped up and went to my room but instead of just grabbing the blanket and going, she dove under the covers and made herself comfortable.

"That wasn't the deal." Even so, I didn't force her to leave. I slid into the bed and under my sheet so she could have the blanket. "You're a brat you know."

"Night Craig."

"Yeah good night Ruby." I sighed and let myself drift off to sleep.

I know that Ruby is technically named Tricia, but I've always known her as Ruby and so it will remain her nickname.