Chapter Three

Thank you for all your patience! I haven't uploaded because i was out of town with no internet access. Your votes and comments are appreciated!!

************************

The car pulls into the parking lot. It had sropped snowing, but the fresh snow still crunches under their toes as John leads Madeline into the building. It's more posh than a rave, which John supposes is why Madeline enjoys it. It runs in the family, he guesses, the dislike of drunk assholes and bitches hyped up on LSD. Ringo doesn't like them either.

John jumps in surprise as Madeline gasps and yanks his head down.

"Ow!" he yelps indignantly.

"You idiot!" she hisses, stuffing a navy blue cap she pulled out of nowhere down over his ears. "If someone recognizes you, we're doomed. Only people with reservations care supposed to be here."

"Well, of course. Otherwise, why make a reservation?"

Madeline ignores the sarcasm and gives him some sunglasses and a fairly realistic fake mustache and beard.

"Why do you have all this?" John wonders.

"Too used to being out with Ritchie," she explains. "I got the mustache and beard of Dick Lester after Paul used them in A Hard Day's Night." She is referring to the movie the band starred in nearly two years before.

John obliges in wearing the disguise and the pair approach the front desk.

"Names?" says the man behind the counter.

"Madeline Starkey and Connor Bright," replies Madeline, and the man waves them in. The dance floor iss dark but cheerful. John bits his tongue, watching Madeline mingle with other dancers. During the slow songs, John never seems to be able to reach her before some other boy does. However, John stubbornly stares down the boy that was going to ask her during Till There Was You, a lovely vocal by Paul.

"It's my band's song, I reckon I'm allowed to dance with you for it," he says, and Madeline laughs.

"Thank you for bringing me," she says sincerely. "Really."

The song finishes and John says, "It'll be over in fifteen. Do you want to leave now and avoid the traffic?"

"Sure," she says, following. They climb into John's Rolls Royce and drive back to the Starkeys' in silence.

"Thank you again, John," says Madeline.

"Anytime," says John.

"No," she persists. "It was very kind of you." She kisses him on the cheek and hurries into the house.

John's cheek burns and he traces it with two fingers.

Only friends.