Chapter Eight

The next months pass by with little event. Madeline and Mo stay home alone without any rowdy boys to disturb their dinners. Madeline continues to research universities she might go to in a few months, but with little to sport the produce. It is not until a few days before the boys' return that something happens.

Madeline is in her room, reading Little Women for the third time. The doorbell rings. Madeline does not stir as she hears Mo's footfalls fading away as she descends to the ground floor. There is quiet talking for a moment, and then the front door can be heard closing. There are footsteps coming back up the stairs, and a moment later, there is a knock on Madeline's door.

She stands up and crosses the room, wondering who it might be. She opens it, and she is met by a boy with thick blond hair and dark gray eyes. Without thinking, she slams the door in his face.

"Hang on!" he yells, grabbing the handle and wrenching the door open. "Madeline, I just want to talk. Please, listen to me?"

"Feel free to talk through the door," she snaps, opening our book.

"I don't suppose saying 'I'm sorry' would help matters?"

"What do you think?"

"I think you're an incredibly stubborn girl and it wouldn't help in the slightest."

"You know me very well."

"No matter how well I know you, saying 'I'm sorry' wouldn't help. And there's no point in asking you to hear me out, because you were right and I was wrong."

Madeline does not answer.

"I broke up with Spier, if it interests you."

"And I broke up with you."

"But even if you did break up with me, I can still ask you to go out with me again, right?"

"You can, but I would have to say no, as I'm not a cheater."

"You're already dating someone else? Who? Where is he now?"

"He's out of the country at the moment."

"I see. Where's...never mind."

"He's out of the country too."

"So I assume it's one of his lot."

"It is."

"Which one?"

"Which do you think?"

"I see."

There is silence for a long time. Then he says, "Well...'Bye, Madeline."

"Adieu," she says. Connor's French classes have taught him enough that he knows that this is a final goodbye. She will not return to his arms. He turns and leaves.

********

So sorry for the delay. Comments appreciated.