Chapter Eleven

"John," moans Madeline as he leads her through the halls. "Look--why don't you go and talk to him by yourself. I'll just go home. I've got some homework to finish up anyway."

"I don't know why you're so nervous," he says, shooting her a comforting smile. "We'll be fine."

"John, I don't smoke..."

He laughs. "Just because he turned us on doesn't mean I'll let him do anything you don't like. OK? I promise. It'll be totally fine."

Madeline sighs and scowls. "Where's Ritchie?"

John looks away. "Er, well, you know, he and Paul aren't as cool with him. And, um, well, me and him haven't been talking much lately. Because of, well, you know... but George'll be there."

"Lovely," mutters Madeline, but John doesn't hear her. They turn around a corner and knock on a door.

"Come in," says a voice. John pushes the door open and a young man with curly hair looks up.

"Hey, if it ain't John Lennon," Bob Dylan says. "And who's the lovely little lady?"

"This is my girlfriend, Madeline," says John, wrapping his arm around her shoulder. "She's also Ringo's little sister."

"Ringo's sis?" asks Dylan. "Ringo's cool. Madeline, you said?"

"Yes," says Madeline irritably, shuffling from foot to foot. Another knock introduces the arrival of George.

"Hey, John, Madeline, Bob," he says, waving at them all. "Everything all right?"

"Great, how're you?" replies Dylan.

"Brilliant, thanks," says George. "Hey, Maddie, I saw your friend--uh, I dunno which one...Uh, I think she said her name was Eden. Eda. E-something."

"Eva, probably," says Madeline. "Why?"

"Yeah, Eva, that's it." George nods. "Anyway, she said that if I saw you, I was supposed to ask you if you wanted to go out tonight. Not with me." He grins, shaking his head. "With some friends and all. She's probably still outside..."

"Yeah, I ought to go talk to her," agrees Madeline. "Er, John, you don't mind, do you?"

"No, of course not," he says, but he looks a little confused. "See you tomorrow?"

"Yup," says Madeline, and hurries out the door. Dylan makes her a little nervous, and she's glad for an excuse to leave. A great musician, and all, but she is definitely not a fan. Not the way John is. She most certainly doesn't look up to him.

But if John likes him, she reminds herself. Just keep your thoughts to yourself, Starkey.

***

Ennhhh Bob Dylan. Don't know much about him, but I know that he didn't like Paul, lol. He had a UK tour in May 1965, but I can't remember off the top of my head whether it was his first or not... oh well. Hope you like.