[2] Bonfire

"Hey Carter, Calum." Chris says. Chris is a fifteen year old boy who obviously has it bad for my sister but would probably date anyone from Alison to my grandmother. Just saying. Chris 'dabs' Calum 'up' as he says before walking over to Ryder. Both of them just look like players, and it worries me that my sister is dating one and the other is still flirting with her.

You'd think that after high school and after all of the things that have happened, life would have so much less drama. In reality, it's the complete opposite. My sister still has guy problems, I like a guy out of my league, my parents fight a lot, and my brother is a jerk. What's new? Other than the no electricity part and the no running water. I guess I should be thankful I'm even here. Dad said that there's rumors there are people going on rampages and killing people for no apparent reason.

"I'll talk to you later man." Calum says to Chris after a few minutes of small- talk. To be honest, I had no clue what they were even saying. I was lost in my own thoughts. This has been happening a lot lately. I think that everything is finally just catching up to me since it's almost been nine months since this started.

"Let's go over here and talk to our parents for a bit." He leads me over to where our parents are seated.

Just as we arrive at our destination, a loud strumming noise is heard within the camp. A twangy voiced banjo is sitting in front of Mason and there is also a man with an acoustic guitar and a 'fiddle.' (A fiddle is a violin in bluegrass and country music. Remember that we're in the mountains.)

"Drinkin' dark whiskey, telling ' white lies, one leads to another, on a Saturday night." The band sings. I glance at my family who is awestruck. Everyone's mouths are hung open.

"When they said there would be music they never told us that it was bluegrass music." My mother said sarcastically.

"Come on Em! Let's go dance. Look! All those couples are up there." My dad tried to persuade her as David and Joy stood up and walked over.

Calum looks at me with the look he always gives me and I knew what he was going to ask.

"Fine! One dance." I agree. He smiles and takes my hand, before putting my hand closer to him and slightly kissing the top of it.

We look around at the others dancing before deciding to do the dance that Alyssa and Chris were doing. All of the teens who live here were here, around the band and the bonfire dancing.

Calum takes one of my hands and the other goes around my waist. I do the same except for my free hand rests upon his shoulder.

We move to the beat of the song and every once and a while he twirls me around by taking one of my hands and reaching it above my head along with his and then he twists me around. Our 'dance' meant a lot of eye contact and smiles with my giggles and Calum chuckling.

The band continues playing music when the camps 'cafeteria' workers arrive with plates of food and deserts.

The plates of chocolate chip cookies and fried chicken take me by surprise and my mouth begins to water simply by just looking at the foods.

Spencer and Toby, who were dancing beside us stop and stare at Ferra, Mali-Koa, and the rest of the ladies who cook our food.

"Chris?" I think out loud.

"Yes Carter?"

"Is that for us like, to eat?"

He laughs at me. "No it's to give to the pigs." His sarcasm makes me roll my eyes.

"I've missed fried chicken. So much." Spencer chimes in.

"My mouth is watering." Toby smiles.

"What time are we eating?" I ask Emma who is sitting in a chair near us.

"In a little while. Don't worry Carter there is plenty." She smiles at me.

"Wanna go watch the sunset?" Calum asks. I notice the sparkle in his left eye as he whispers in my ear.

"As long as we get back in time for the food." I joke.

We watch the beautiful mountain sunset from on top of a large hill we have explored a few times since we arrived. The way you can see the curve of the dark blue mountains painted across the red and orange horizon reminds me of how breathtaking the world is. Sometimes I could just stare at the picture I took of Calum's profile against the skies because of how amazing the world still is, even after everything fell apart.

"I think that this is my favorite place to be. Right here with you."

"No way. If you could be with a better guy.. Someone who you could relate to. Someone who didn't used to break girl's hearts for fun.. You would."

I frown at his words. I knew that he used to be a player and that he'd dated many girls who were prettier than me and were more his type, but did that even matter anymore?

"Does any of that matter anymore though? The world spent so much time building up and inventing new things and making life more enjoyable and simpler, but look where that got us? Sitting in a mountain hundreds of miles from home with people who we normally wouldn't even know existed. Calum, it's true that we wouldn't have been a thing if this weren't have happened. It's true that you dated prettier girls who were actually in your league. Here's your league," I hold up one of my hands and flattened it. "And here's my league;" I hold up a hand below my other hand symbolizing that he is way out of my league.

"How can you say that? Carter you're the prettiest girl I know, you're super hot. Any guy would be lucky to-"

I interrupt him once more.

"Stop. It's true and you know it but guess what? None of that is relevant to ANYTHING that's happened. None of that defines us. Our past doesn't define us. The thing is that now, we are forced to constantly be looking over our shoulder. Now, it's only the present that matters."

"Wow. I-" He spits and stutters. Before I lean in to give him a quick peck on the cheek.

"Let's go have some fun!" I say before leading him back down the rock path to camp.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{an}

Above is a manip (not mine) of Carter & Chris. (Don't worry there won't be romance or anything they'll be good friends.) so yeah Chris is portrayed as Dylan O'Brian.

Also I added the song 'Like I'm Gonna Lose You' because I was listening to it while writing but it doesn't really relate to the story or anything it's just been on my mind lately I guess.

Don't forget to smile today okay?!

-C