FORCING FATE

Chapter 5 | Forcing Fate

Sabrina glanced out the window nervously as she watched traffic come and go. They hadn't been driving long, but her nerves made it feel like forever. If she would've known that she'd see him she would've brought out her good workout set instead of a random shirt and yoga pants she currently wore.

Why am I trying to impress him?

This isn't what she wanted. She didn't need nor did she want any ties with him romantically. She needed to focus on herself and her education.

HA! Who are you kidding?

One thing that Sabrina could admit to herself was her want to get to know the man that was always coming into her path. She also knew trying to lie to herself might be her safest bet. He could be a killer for all she knew and this could be one of her last moments of her life.

Sabrina turned her attention to Carter. She took in his facial features; studying his strong jaw and the neatly groomed beard that slightly covered the scar sitting on his jawline. Her eyes followed down his chest and took in his laid back attire.

What does he do? She asked herself taking in that even his plain black t-shirt was a luxury brand.

Carter felt stares burning into the side of his face, but didn't turn his face to catch her. Something in him felt like he was making a mistake taking her to the place that mattered most to him, but everything else in him wanted to bring her there.

Do I really want to take her seriously? Carter asked himself.

Sabrina was beautiful without any doubt in his mind, but since when was he the relationship type? He spent the last twenty-eight years of his life avoiding a relationship no matter how badly his mom always tried to hook him up with every available bachelorette at her church; it never changed his want for a relationship. What made her so important? Why am I so drawn to her as if she was the last bottle of water in the Sahara Desert? He just couldn't understand his actions. All he knew was that he wanted to surround his senses with her.

"Where exactly are we going?" Sabrina asked taking Carter out of his thoughts. She was starting to worry about their destination once they turned onto a dirt road lined with trees.

"Don't worry I'm not kidnapping you, but if I tell you it's going to ruin the whole surprise." He replied not taking his eyes off the road. "Even if I was kidnapping you, don't you think it's a little too late to panic?"

Sabrina knew he was right. They'd been driving for a half hour and there was no way for her to get back to the city on her own at this point. Sabrina checked her phone and she'd lost signal as well.

"We're here." Carter said while slowing down the car. He walked around to Sabrina's side of the car and opened the door for her since he saw it in the movies so much. He wanted to treat her as best as he could.

"So this is where we're going to talk? It's a little creepy, don't you think?" Sabrina said not wanting to actually say what was processing through her mind. She felt like this was for sure going to be her last minutes alive. She shot a quick prayer up to The Lord before looking around to see if there were any paths she could take to escape if need be.

"We're not actually there just yet. This is just how far my car can go," Carter said. "C'mon there's a path through the trees." Carter said locking the door to his car with the remote and grabbing Sabrina's hand. He led the way through the small forest until finally after several minutes they made it to the small pond.

Spring was around the corner so lily pads floated on the surface of the water. You could see the small fish and tadpoles swimming around in the blue-green water. A small wooden bench at the edge of the water was the perfect distance for dipping your feet in.