Empty Apologies

Chapter 18 | Empty Apologies

"Are you okay?" Chance asked while snapping her fingers in front of Carter's face. He seemed to have been in his own world and it was then that she realized that Carter didn't know about the pregnancy. "I'm sorry Carter I thought you knew." Chance wrapped her arm around his shoulder but Carter shrugged off the arm and stood.

"It's fine...uh...I'm gonna meet up with y'all later." Carter scratched the stubble growing on his jaw and grabbed his keys. "Just make sure you put the ring back in the safe." Carter mumbled as he made his way out of the warehouse.

Carter was in his car before his mind could even process it and on his way to Sabrina's apartment. He didn't know what he was going to say when he got there or if he was going to stay quiet about everything that he found out. His conscience didn't want to make her uncomfortable and wanted to wait until she was ready to disclose that information to him, but something within him wanted to know.

He wanted to know why she'd hide her pregnancy from him. Why she'd keep something so special away from him. So important. He wanted answers but he cared about Sabrina's comfort more. But his thoughts were eating him alive. He wanted to know. He needed to know. It was his right, wasn't it? Shit, he didn't even know what he wanted to do. All he knew was that he needed to see her and examine her in a way he never did before. It had to be a lie.

Carter bit into his lip as his pulled into the parking space to her apartment. He cut the engine and got out of the car with his mind still reeling. What was he gonna do? What was he gonna say? Did he confront her or act like nothing has changed? Shit, shit, shit. Carter let out a long worrisome breath as the elevator doors closed and slowly took him up to Sabrina's floor.

Stepping into the apartment, Carter was hit with the smell of multiple smells mingling together causing his stomach to tighten in hunger. Wet Dreamz by J. Cole was blasting through the speakers in the living room. Carter dropped his keys in the Sabrina's key bowl and made his way to the kitchen where he could faintly here Sabrina's rapping over the music.

Carter stopped at the kitchen entry and leaned against the doorway and watched Sabrina preparing the chicken. She wasn't full out dancing but the lower half of her body was moving with the beat of the song. Carter studied her body as she moved, not because of the dance moves but if he could see any changes in her body. Her stomach was still as flat and her breast seemed slightly larger but that could've easily been caused by a push-up bra.

Carter imagined how Sabrina would look with a big round belly, carrying his child with his ring on her finger. The vision itself was something he wanted to happen as soon as he possibly could. He knew Sabrina was the one for him and just watching her dance with his child inside her confirmed it.

"You know I was thinking we could go out to dinner this Friday." Carter suggested after pausing the song on the stereo.

"What the hell Carter, you scared me." Sabrina said with her hand on her chest with the idea of helping her heart slow its pace. She ignored Carter's suggestion and went back to preparing the chicken breasts.

"Is that a go for dinner?" Carter asked redirecting the conversation towards dinner. He knew if he didn't set a specific date to ask then he'd be proposing the moment he get his hands on the ring. Carter knew he would've asked her right then and there if he'd taken the ring back with him but Sabrina deserved something nice and Chance would make sure that after dinner the proposal would be the best anyone has ever had.

"Carter, we really have to talk about something first." Sabrina said with a poker face. She couldn't allow this to go any further. She knew he was worried and with the look in his eyes, he was looking at her like she was the only unicorn in the world. It hurt her in her core to continue to watch him be the best boyfriend any woman could buy.