"Get Out Of The Car"

AIDEN'S POV

"This isn't where we get food..." Brin mumbled confusedly as I brought the car to a stop. I was worried she would call someone and wouldn't be able to tell her what she needed to know.

"I... I know... I, uhm, I have something I need to tell you. I-" I began. I stopped to take a breather and think how I wanted to do this. I hadn't exactly planned this out like I should have. I decided it would best to just show her rather than tell her. That was the easiest way.

"Get out of the car," I whispered.

There was no emotion or feeling in my voice. She followed instruction and turned to me as I followed suit. I grabbed her hand and pulled her behind me to the waterfall in the woods. She tried to speak but I cut her off. This was not the time to listen to her. That would come in a moment.

As the waterfall came into view she looked afraid. She most likely knew what was coming. She was born in the morning, but it wasn't this morning. I let go of her hand, but did not turn to face her. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. This would be the hardest thing I do today, and I knew it. She again began to question me, but stopped mid-sentence when I unbuttoned my jeans and pulled them down.

Obviously, two things could have went through her mind; a) sex. He is gonna try to get in my pants. Great. Or, b) what actually happened. I am not the kind of guy to try that sort of thing. I thought it was disrespectful to women. I saw it as using them as a tool, one that would be disposed of or used for that only and I hated it. Hopefully, she knew that.

Brin bit her lip and closed her eyes. I knew she was trying not to cry. She did this all the time. Bite lip to distract herself from what's going on so she can close her eyes and regroup. Classic Brin-is-under-stress move.

I hadn't cut in almost two years. When I turned around, I saw the look in her face and knew she wasn't surprised. I couldn't stand to see the hurt and confusion and disappointment in her eyes, so I turned to face the rushing torrent fall downwards and crash into the pond below after replacing my jeans on my waist.

This was where I had first met her, three years ago. I had ventured here, desperate to be alone and grieve in peace, away from people and the monster to inflict my lugubriosity in the first place. Brin was here as well. I assumed she was 15. She certainly looked it. She must've seen me crying and came over. She asked me what was wrong and I told her. I told her everything; my dad had just beat and raped my mom right in front of me and attempted to kill her, but the cops came before he was finished. He had his hands closed around her throat when the officers walked in. She ended up dying a week later in the hospital from TBI; traumatic brain injury.

Brin took me in and stayed with me- well, I stayed with her for a year until her 14 birthday, at which point I went to live with my aunt a few blocks away. She has spent every moment she possibly could with me since.

One year after we met, the exact day, actually, I asked her why she had been crying. She pulled out her phone and showed me a picture of a man online. She said he was the man who had raped her. She was crying because he had been released from jail that day.

"Why did you cut?" she choked out. Tears were beginning to spill onto her cheeks. This was hurting her and I hated it. I hated hurting her like this, but I knew it would hurt her more if I didn't tell her. But I still hated hurting her, necessary or not. I... I was in love with her...

"Why?" she whispered desperately. It sounded like she might breakdown at any second, which scared me more than anything in the world. I didn't know what to do. I had only ever seen Brinly Jakobz cry twice since the day we met and even then, she stopped when she saw me. She never cried in front of me- or anyone. She told me it made her feel rude, like she was trying to make other people fix her problems. She also said it made her feel weak and helpless, which she hated.

"B-because... m-my dad sent me a letter from prison... He said, he said his death penalty is going to be served Saturday and he wants to see me before he dies. I got really upset... and... I did what I knew. I hurt myself and I told myself it was my fault that my mom is dead," I explained, trying not to cry in front of her.