Chapter Forty: Planning a homicide

*Cayton's POV*

Find Macy, find your mate. Macy, Macy, Macy.

That was all that ran through my mind the entire run. Nothing else, just that. I didn't think about anything else as I let my instincts take over, or as I let myself go wolf and take off into the forest running as fast as I could. When I found the totaled remains of my car, I still didn't think of anything else but finding my mate.

And when I found my father, lying on the ground, slowly healing from a rather painful looking wound, I didn't care what caused it or that he may very well need to see a doctor. I just knew that he knew where Macy was, and that's all I cared about.

I have Drake and Michael check around the area, while Carter and I go to my father, who has himself leaning against a rock.

Before I have the chance to shift back, Carter charges towards Warren, furious growls echoing through the air. I have half a mind to just let Carter kill him and move on, but I think better of it. I think he deserves it—in all honesty, anyone who has no problem risking the life of my mate and my Beta's, all the while betraying their son and pack does. And as much as I wouldn't mind killing him myself, I know I can't really do that, knowing it would crush my mother.

So, I tackle Carter and pin him down before he does anything. He's upset, that much I can relate to. But, as I've said before, we need to keep a calm head if we're going to get out of this with all four of us alive.

Even as I remind myself that, I can feel my own control slipping each second I'm away from Macy.

Cater furiously thrashes underneath me, trying everything he can to throw me off. He puts up a good fight, I'll give him that, but the Alpha power makes it easy to keep him down.

'Let me rip his fucking head off!' he growls through the mind link.

'Carter, you need to calm the hell down,' I say back, trying to keep my voice level while asserting my power over him. He won't have any of that though, because it does little to stop him.

"You're wasting time you know," Warren speaks up, and I can tell it takes a great deal just to say it. "Bethany and Macy aren't being helped by you being here."

While I know he's only saying that to save his own ass, it's true that we're not getting anything done. Carter, who may be acting irrational at the moment, also realizes this, and calms down with a huff and a guttural growl.

As soon as I'm sure he's calm enough, I release him and shift. I briefly tell myself that, no matter what, I have to keep a calm head. It shouldn't be too hard, considering the years upon years of Alpha training to handle situations like this. But, then again, I guess it isn't much of a secret that all that seems to be forgotten when Macy is involved, especially when she's in danger. I suppose it's just a general werewolf thing when it comes to mate, if Carter's reactions have anything to say about it.

"Why did you do this?" It's the only thing I can think to ask. I know what happened here; I saw it all by tapping into my mother's mind. From the second Joshua bit into Macy's wrist, all the way to the point where she attacked him. I didn't see which way she headed, but I saw where Bethany went, so I know she followed.

"It was for the pack," he says. I scoff as he continues. "You weren't thinking about what was best for the greater good, someone had to."

"You didn't even give her a chance!" All thoughts of remaining calm aside; I was pissed. It happened so fast too, I didn't have a second to reign in my emotions. Its one thing to insinuate that I don't care about my pack; but to take matters into your own hands and put lives on the line because you can't handle things not going your way?