Chapter Forty-Seven: Howls of Victory

*Macy's POV*

I broke my leg once trying to do a flip off a trampoline. Not a flip while I was on the trampoline, mind you--I thought I could be super cool and land on the cold, unforgiving ground like an Olympic gymnast. Rest assured, I could not. I couldn't even do a flip properly, so that was my first mistake.

But oh man, I thought that was the most painful thing I would go through in my life.

Turns out, a full set of razor sharp teeth bared by a very angry wolf down on your shoulder can match that. Surpass it, even.

My mistake here, much like my inability to actually do a flip, was that I was completely and utterly helpless to an attack from anyone, nor did I have a good enough reaction time to think to duck, or hit the ground, or move in any way but where I was. So when his teeth came down, they came down hard and on point.

The world started getting darker as I let out a scream. Before Roy realized his mistake, and could fully detach himself from me, someone came barreling into him. I screamed louder as his teeth ripped themselves from my flesh, and I fell in the direction Roy had been tackled. As I hit the ground, tears welling up in my eyes, my throat straining from the screams, I saw Bethany look at me with horror in her eyes. She scrambled over to me as my eyes began closing on their own, and the sounds of someone screaming my name broke through the sudden chaotic howling surrounding me.

I didn't want to pass out, but oh god did I want this pain to go away. So I gave in as Beth rolled me onto my back and looked over me. A tear fell from her eyes and landed on my cheek, and then I was gone. I thought it might be for good.

*Bethany's POV*

A horrible, sickening sense of despair and regret set in immediately. As I look down at Macy, eyes unfocused, blood splattered on her face, soaking her shirt, I can't help but begin sobbing. I can't bear to look at her shoulder, so instead I try to gently roll her onto her back. I don't know what else to do.

Joshua and Roy are still going at it. With their Luna attacked, the Dusk Valley wolves have begun fighting again. Whether or not they were told to is unknown to me, because Carter and Cayton are both running over.

"Macy!" Cayton screams, getting down on his knees next to her. Her eyes are shut now, and her head lolls to the side. I want to stay and help, but Carter grabs me and forces me onto my feet. I can't find it in me to fight him.

As Cayton takes off his shirt to apply it to her shoulder, I hear Carter say we have to move her away from the fighting. He tells Cayton that he can handle it, that Cayton should focus on leading the pack. And then the scariest, fiercest look I've ever seen on anyones face is directed at him, and then at me. I freeze.

"This is all your fault, both of you!" Cayton screams. I shudder, knowing he's right. Tears fall down my cheeks, but I stifle any sound. Carter's grip on me tightens.

"Channel that anger somewhere else right now," Carter says. His voice is shaky. There's so much going on right now, I can't even begin to imagine what's going on in his head. But I know he cares about Macy too, and Cayton, and I can see the slightest hint of guilt on his face.

Cayton scoops Macy up in his arms. He's shaking, his eyes are glazing over. "This is your fight now. Handle it." I'm surprised; Cayton takes his Alpha duties almost too seriously sometimes. So for him to walk away from a fight his men are in is a bit shocking. However, like I said with Carter, there's a lot going on. He's probably feeling the pain from Macy's injury, both mentally and physically. And we've all been through a lot these past few days.

I turn to Carter, nodding my head. His eyes follow Cayton's back as he runs away, tightly clutching Macy to his chest. He nods and then springs into action, leaving me to follow Cayton. Though, I'm sure I'm the last person he wants to see at the moment.