Chapter Forty-Six: Poorly timed doughnut rants

*Macy's POV*

I'm sure I don't have to reiterate that I have a natural inclination to choose to do the stupidest thing in any given moment. In all fairness, not once has it gotten me killed, and eventually, through a lot of wangling, I usually get the desired results.

I was hoping this would be one of those times.

As I'm surrounded by dozens of werewolves fighting, brutally and with no clear sense of what the hell is going on, I think, "Yea, the best course of action is to run straight into the middle of it all." Because, I mean, what else are you supposed to do?

So, taking my happy ass, I dodge flying werewolf after howling one, trying to make it to Cayton who, admittedly, is faring much better now. He's gained the upper hand on Joshua, but it's clearly because Joshua has a different target in mind. Meanwhile, I look around wildly to further assess the situation. I know there's a good mix of Midnight Fire wolves and Dusk Valley wolves, but even I know that we are outnumbered, and will certainly be overpowered if we stay longer. We're in their territory now—all their people are here.

My eyes search for matching yellow ones, and I spot Waylon looking around, frantic, the absence of a certain annoying cellmate suddenly catching his attention. One quick look shows me Neil is nowhere to be found. I huff, rolling my eyes. I should have expected that, but I guess Neil and I are even now. He's a free man.

A slight burning sensation on my back reminds me that Joshua may be after Roy, but he's still fighting Cayton. And frankly, I rather let Joshua take care of Roy, because Carter isn't doing too hot either.

So, between two snarling wolves, teeth bared and loud snarls echoing, I stand my ground. Genius, considering both were about to spring into another attack, but I made it with enough time for them to stop themselves. I hold my hands out between them, before directing my eyes to Cayton.

"Cayton, this isn't your fight," I say. He barks angrily, then snarls in Joshua's direction. He steps forward, but I put a hand on his neck to stop him. He looks at me, and I look at him, feeling something wash over me. Something close to anger, power, maybe even a little bit of dominance. "Cayton. Stop."

My voice comes out funny, like it suddenly is deeper, louder than before. Considering that I am panicking inside, my mental self running around in circles screaming and pulling her hair with both her hands, it shocks me, and I can tell it makes Cayton rear back too.

I look to Joshua, my hand firmly gripping the fur of Cayton's wolf. "Take care of Roy, the rest can be figured out later."

He looked at me, then to Cayton, lips pulling back over his teeth slightly, before he darted towards the fight between Carter and Roy. I knew this wasn't really Carter's fight either, but more so Bethany's. My main priority now was Cayton. Getting him to a place where levelheaded decisions could be made, and then he could stop Carter.

I watched as Joshua lunged at Roy, knocking into his side and causing them both to tumble. Carter wouldn't give up though, and followed the rolling mass of fur. You could see the Midnight Fire wolves all slowly stop, and I don't know what came over me because I suddenly yelled "Everyone, stop fighting NOW!" and every Dusk Valley wolf came to a screeching halt.

I kept a stern look on my face, but internally my mental self has ceased her running and is now smugly sitting on a throne, feeling powerful. I will totally be using this later on. Whatever "this" is.

Both groups of wolves are all staring around, confused, watching as Joshua and Roy fight, and Carter, looking more like a random trying to get in on the action, fight.

I look over to Bethany, who is still clutching her throat and looking terrified.

'Get inside his head, stop him. They're preoccupied with each other now, he's safe if he butts out for the moment,' I tell her. She looks up, reluctantly, and nods. Meanwhile, I drag Cayton to the side, towards Waylon, who has no clue what to do at this point, and ask him to grab some clothes for Cayton. He complies immediately.