Chapter 2

2

Emma

"Your mom grounded you for a total of three months?" I nodded as I picked at my food. "She found out about your antics, huh?" Again, I nodded. "I told you it was gonna happen."

"Shut up, Linda." I glared at her. She's Cally's oldest daughter.

"All I'm saying is that you should have hung out with me and not the guys." She shrugged as she ate her apple.

"And sit around getting my hair, face, and nails done?" I scrunched up my nose at her. "No thanks. I'd rather get muddy than be dolled up."

She made a face at me. "Mud? Ew..."

"Don't you know that mud is good for your skin?" I asked around a bite of eggs.

"Ew!" She exclaimed. "Chew with your mouth closed."

"Make me." I stuck my tongue out her, making her almost gag.

"You're disgusting."

I swallowed. "But you love me."

"That I do..." She muttered as she took another bite, her nails glittering in the lights of the school cafeteria. Today is the first day of our sophomore year. Today also marks the day I have two months left of my grounding.

Hands suddenly slammed on the table we're sitting at, making Linda and I nearly leap out of our seats. "Have you heard about the new kid?"

"My God, Kester!" I smacked his arm. "Don't you dare do that again or I'll skin you alive!"

"No time for idle threats!" He snapped at me, completely serious. "There is a new guy at the school with a couple of his buddies and they're terrorizing some of the pack members. They're causing a scene."

I leaped to my feet. "Stay," I pointed to Linda. "Watch my stuff. I'll be right back." She nodded slowly. I turned from the table and followed Kester to the court yard, pulling Gaven from his table by the arm as we went. He protested, but I quickly explained what was going on. He called over his shoulder to Emily that he'd be right back.

When we arrived at the court yard, we saw a crowd in the middle of it. Security was trying to get through, but the crowd wouldn't let them, mainly because most of the people in it were part of the pack and were waiting for Gaven to get there.

"Alright, move." Gaven commanded as the three of us effortlessly slipped through. "Oh, you've got to be kidding me..."

"What?" I asked as I stood a bit behind him. I peeked around him and found a couple guys from our pack standing protectively in front of their mates, growling at three men who stood much taller than them. They simply laughed and tried to go for the girls, who coward back, clinging to their mates.

I glared at the guys. "People like them make me sick." I shoved past Gaven, who tried to get me to stop.

"Hey!" The obvious leader turned to face me, but ended up getting shoved back by me. "Lay off! You have no business here!" He blinked, stunned that I had managed to move him.

I glared up at him, our eyes connecting. Something clicked in me and my mouth popped open a bit. "Oh, hell no. Not happening. No way!" I backed away from him, Gaven pulling me behind him. The guy growled, making Gaven and Kester snarl back.

"Shut up, pups!" I snapped at them, their attention on me now.

"Pup?" They all scowled at me. The leader of the group had something about his voice that made something stir inside me.

I crossed my arms, meeting each of their gazes. "You heard me. You're all acting like pups." The crowd murmured around us, mainly from the humans.

"Watch what you're saying." The group leader narrowed his eyes, mimicking my posture. "You're in the presence of-"