Chapter 11

11

Emma

Today is the day, and damn am I glad it's finally here. It took so long to get here, and I swear it felt like it was never going to come. The days dragged on and seemed to last forever, and it got worse the closer to the day it got. I thought I was gonna die from how long it was taking.

Now, the question is, what do I wear? I don't exactly have formal clothes. I have jeans, more jeans, even more jeans, jeans that were cut into shorts, tank tops, camisoles, crop tops, tube tops, T-shirts, I have no idea what that is supposed to be, and... nothing formal. Not even a skirt!

This only means one thing...

I sighed, wrapped my towel tighter around me, then went for my parent's room. Mom sat at her vanity brushing her hair. Her eyes widened a bit before she turned around to face me.

"Emma?" She set her brush down and stood. "I thought you were getting ready?"

"I was, but..." I clutched on tighter to the towel and said the rest in a rush. "I have nothing to wear and I need your help to pick out something to wear because I don't want to look like a tom boy while I'm up on the stage being named Beta of the pack." I took in a deep breath after that long sentence.

She smiled and went for her closet. "I told you getting a few dresses would be nice for you. Now, this isn't exactly a formal event. Yes, we need to look nice, but you can wear a sun dress and still look presentable. Like... this one!" She pulled out a soft blue dress that looked like they would come down to just below my knees. The back of the dress was a bit longer and swished a bit when it was moved. The sleeves were similar to the back of the dress.

I smiled a bit. "It's perfect. Thanks, mom." I grabbed the dress and went back to my room to finish getting ready for tonight. After I finished drying off and got the dress on, I slipped on a pair of black flats and applied on some eyeliner, calling it good.

I met my parents and brother downstairs. Dad was trying to straighten Orien's mess of hair that refused to lay flat.

I rolled my eyes. "Let me." I licked both my hands and started ruffling up his hair even more.

"Ew!" He cried out and tried to get away. "Sister germs! Gross!" He still laughed though, causing me to giggle as I messed with his hair one last time before stopping, admiring my work. His hair now had a natural bed-head look. He can really pull it off.

"Alright, alright, let's go." Dad rolled his eyes and led us out of the house, locking up. He's still a bit skeptical about certain things, mainly Rogues, even though we haven't had an issue with them in sixteen years. It kinda has him on edge.

Orien and I walked in front of our parents as they held hands behind us. I gave him a light push.

"Excuse you?" He pushed me back. I rolled my eyes and bumped him with my hip. And then the game was on.

But only for a few seconds. "If you two get dirty, I swear you'll both be washing your clothes by hand for the rest of the month!" We instantly stopped after that. Who wouldn't?

My ears suddenly perked up and a sly grin spread across my lips. "We're here. We're here! Last one to the stage is a rotten egg!" Orien and I took off, mom shouting at us from behind.

"I beat ya!" I shouted as my hand slapped the stage.

"Nu-uh!" Orien shouted at me. "It was a tie! We were going the same speed! Just because I'm younger and smaller than you, doesn't mean we aren't of the same blood line of Betas!"

I tried to hold back a chuckle. "You're voice cracked. I'm sorry, but it's a little hard to take you seriously."

His cheeks turned a bright red. "Shut up! Damn it, stupid voice!" He covered his cheeks and started walking away. "I'm gonna get a drink..."