Chapter 3

Chapter 3

       Throughout the week, there were times when Elizabeth found herself thinking about Sarah. She'd be in the middle of sketching something for a new project and then realize that she was sketching Sarah's face. She would always turn the page and start again. Denial was no longer just a river in Egypt, it was much closer to home now. 

       Even Sarah started noticing the change in her behavior. It was Thursday before Sarah called her out on it. They finally had time to eat breakfast together that week. The smell of the eggs, potatoes, and toast permeated in the air and made Sarah and Liz start salivating. They dug in quickly and somehow were on their second plates before conversation started. 

       "What's going on with you this week, Liz? You've been acting strange and I'm not the only one who has noticed. You're mom called this week and said you didn't call her Tuesday for your weekly talk." 

       Liz felt herself look up and get caught in Sarah's eyes. She blushed and looked back down at her plate. 

       "Nothing. This commission is really kicking my butt. I've been through a bunch of sketches and several ideas and haven't gotten anywhere yet." 

       She felt her flush again with the lie. It technically wasn't a lie. More of a half-truth. Sarah looked at her questioningly and then blinked and smiled. 

       "It's okay. I haven't had time to do anything either. The publisher wants me to do a book signing after it's released and they were telling me all of the cities on the tour. I didn't really want to do it but it seems that I'm going to let myself be talked into it. It sounds like a bunch of fun." 

       Liz smiled at her, not really looking at her eyes. She was staring directly at her forehead. She looked back down at her plate and inhaled the rest of it. Sarah hadn't started eating again and was still staring at her. 

       "What? Do I have something on my face?" 

       Sarah shook her head no. 

       "Did I do something wrong? Are you made at me?" 

       Elizabeth stood up and put her plates in the sink.  

       "No. What makes you think that?" 

       She held her breath when she felt Sarah walk behind her.  

       "Because you're acting weird. You're like my sister, Liz. I want you to be able to tell me what's going on with you." 

       It was then that Liz knew that she was starting to fall in love with her best friend. Her heart was starting to break. A tiny fissure was already starting and she knew it would continue to grow if she didn't do something about it now. She knew she could never cross that line with Sarah.  

       "I know that, Sarah. Honestly nothing is bothering me, okay?"  

       She pushed past her and walked down the hallway to her studio. She was about to close the door when she felt her eyes close. 

       "I'm going to work for a while, Sarah." 

       She heard a soft voice call back at her. 

       "Okay." 

       She closed the door and locked it. Leaning against it, she felt a tear fall down her face. Liz had no idea when it started but the love she felt had taken root in her heart and it felt like it was being torn from the top. She opened her eyes and blinked several times. That was it.