Chapter 14

Chapter 14

       After a lengthy walk through of picking the handcuffs, Elizabeth finally got Sarah out of the chair. She stood up and almost fell but Liz caught her around the torso. She didn't let go and dragged Sarah close for a hug. They held on for dear life for as long as they could anyway. They pulled away from each other and locked eyes. Sarah smiled wanly and squeezed Liz's shoulders in a somewhat reassuring manner.  

       Elizabeth pulled herself together and straightened her spine. She pulled away when she noticed that Sarah could hold herself up.  

       "I need to send some sort of signal to the people outside. We need to get to a window or something. The bad part of this is that it's pretty much an open space out there." 

       "Look out the window real quick. They're not going to be paying too much attention to the room right now. I overheard Jose saying he had some sort of weapons deal going down tonight. They're busy getting everything ready." 

       Elizabeth walked over to the window and looked around. The crates varied in size and color. There were some close to the door but for the most part the door to the office was open to the table Jose was standing at. They could use the crates as cover to get somewhere for a diversion or signal. The closest exit door was about two meters to the right of the office. She sighed heavily.  

       "There's no way to get out of the office without being seen. We'll have to wait until the deal happens. Do you know how long it will be?" 

       Sarah shook her head no and sighed too. Liz took a deep breath. 

       "So we wait."

       And they did wait. Every minute that ticked by felt like an hour. Every hour that ticked by felt like a day. Elizabeth estimated that it had been about two hours since she was taken into the office. Which meant that it was probably after midnight. Her internal clock had never been good. There was a commotion outside. Liz got up to look out the window. There were more men in the warehouse than before and Jose was talking to someone, flanked by his right hand men. Liz turned to look at Sarah. 

       "Get ready. They're here." 

       Sarah stood up and swayed a little bit. Elizabeth bit her lip.  

       "Are you going to be okay to run?" 

       She nodded her head. They walked to the door. Liz opened it and peered out, looking for any sign that someone was looking in their direction. She turned and whispered to Sarah. 

       "Run to the crate to the right of the office. Be as quiet and as fast as you can." 

       Sarah ran through first and made it to the crate. Elizabeth watched to make sure she'd get there safely. She took several deep breaths before peering out the door again. Everyone had their eyes on the table. The men in charge were looking at the guns and everyone had their weapons in their hands, ready for anything that happened. She opened the door quickly and rushed out. Unfortunately someone saw her. They started firing. The gunshots were loud and the bullets piercing the warehouse wall behind her echoed in her ears. She ran as fast as she could. She got to the grate and put her back against it breathing heavily. Sarah looked at her with narrowed eyes and Elizabeth nodded her head. She pointed to the door. 

       The gunshots and the yelling had stopped. They could hear Jose yelling at the men who had shot at that them.  

       "I want them alive! No shooting-"