Chapter 11

Chapter 11

       Elizabeth found herself sitting on the edge of the guest bed rocking back and forth sobbing, shivers running through her body. Her brain could barely process what was happening.  

       "Liz? What the fuck? What happened?" 

       She lifted her head to stare at Benji. She felt her hand lift the phone up by itself and gave it to him silently. She wiped the tears away only to find that they wouldn't stop. Benji gasped loudly and let out a noise that could only be attributed to shock. He fell to the bed next to Elizabeth. His hand was shaking as it reached out to grab hers.  

       "I have to go, Benji." 

       She felt him nod his head.  

       "I'm going to call Charlie. There wasn't a time limit?" 

       Liz inhaled deeply before standing up. She turned to him, her eyes hard and determined. 

       "I think they figure I'll get there as fast as possible. I will. You can't stop me. I love her, Benji." 

       He looked up at her and nodded his head. 

       "I know, Liz. We'll get her back. Whoever this sick man is we will get her back and-" 

       A knock on the door interrupted his sentence. They looked at each other and walked towards the door silently. Elizabeth walked over to the fireplace and picked up the metal poker before walking to stand behind Benji. He opened the door to a man in a suit. 

       "Benjamin Cartwright and Elizabeth I presume. My name is Detective Thomas and I'm here to talk to you about Jennifer Blake. You'd know her as Sarah." 

       Benji looked back at Liz and then opened the door wider to let him in. Liz stopped him before he walked in. 

       "I'll need to see your badge, sir. You'll understand of course." 

       Detective Thomas stopped and looked at Elizabeth before he nodded his head at her in agreement. His eyes showed more than his face. Liz could practically see the approval of her request. He showed them his badge and then they let him in. They moved to the living room and sat down on Benji's sofa and chair. It was silent for a moment before he talked.  

       "Sarah is part of the Witness Relocation Program. She has been since she was sixteen. This was the last placement that we could afford to give her. Recently she reported that she was being followed by a man. We had a protection detail on your apartment and last night our man was knocked out and when he came to Sarah was no longer there and it looked like there was a struggle. We know who did it and the question right now is where she's being kept." 

       Elizabeth took a deep breath and held her phone out to him wordlessly. She wanted to do anything she could to help Sarah. Even if it meant that she was going against whoever took Sarah's wishes.  

       Detective Thomas looked up and he looked concerned. 

       "Why would they message you?" 

       Benji spoke up, his arms crossed in front of his chest in a protective manner. 

       "They love each other, Detective. Surely that's enough for these psychos to want to blackmail Elizabeth." 

       Detective Thomas nodded his head. 

       "Elizabeth, did Sarah tell you about her time as Jennifer Blake?"