Chapter 12

Chapter 12

       Benji and Charlie were talking in another room, loudly. Liz went to the kitchen and made a pot of coffee. She could tell that caffeine was going to be her best friend right now. She walked back out with two mugs and handed one to the detective. 

       "Thanks, Miss-" 

       "Call me Elizabeth or Liz. At this point I think we can skip the formalities, right Detective?" 

       He nodded his head and smiled wryly at her. 

       "In that case you can call me Nick." 

       She smiled back at him but it didn't reach her eyes.  

       "Tell me what I have to do Nick to get her home safe." 

       He took a deep breath. 

       "I don't think it's going to be as easy as we want it to be, Liz. There's going to be guns waved at you in every room, catcalls at you, and a bunch of other things that will unnerve you. Sarah doesn't need to you lose your temper at the wrong moment. We can't send someone in with you nor can we mic you. You won't have anyone with you, you'll be by yourself." 

       "I understand that part, Nick. I want to know that you'll have people ready to come in when I need them to. I want to know my ass is covered when I get in there. I want to know that Sarah and I will have a way out when it all goes to shit. That's what I want to hear." 

       "I understand that, Elizabeth. We've been planning a sting and you've stepped up the game a bit. You have information we didn't have. We know where they're at now. We'll have the building covered. We just need you to know that we might not have a clear shot. You'll have to give some sort of signal we can be able to see. We don't have any intel about this building." 

       She nodded her head.  

       "Okay. Get me there. Get me in and get us out."

       "Okay, guys. The warehouse has multiple windows on the first and second stories. They have sentries posted here, here, here and here. Double sentries are posted at all entry and exit points-" 

       Liz was trying to listen to the man in charge. Everyone was in Kevlar and had guns. She tried to make them listen and give her a gun for protection or for looks. When she said that Nick looked at her like she was crazy. 

       "Sarah had a gun. They might be expecting it." 

       "You get a taser. If you have a gun they might be more violent. The most they will do if they find a taser on you is laugh. We need to make this as authentic as possible." 

       So Sarah didn't get a gun but she had a taser. She felt like even more of an idiot. There was no way there won't be any bloodshed but she can try her best to not get hurt more than necessary. And Liz. God she hoped that Liz wouldn't be covered in blood when she got in there.  

       All Elizabeth felt was anger. Anger at the men for taking Sarah. Angry at them for ruining her life. Angry at Sarah for not having told her about her past. Angry at Charles for lying to them, for misleading Benji. God, she thought that Charlie would be better than Benji's ex. The only thing that was good about Charlie were his intentions and not leaving Benji black and blue and lying on the bathroom floor. 

       It was up to Benji on whether or not he was going to give Charlie another chance. There is good in Charles and, though he lied, he was still a good man. Though she would always have mixed feelings about it. 

       She was pulled out of her thoughts by Detective Thomas. He sat down next to her and handed her a thermos of something. She took a sip of it and discovered it was Irish coffee. It warmed her stomach.  

       "Little bit of liquid courage could never hurt, right?" 

       He smiled a little at her. 

       "Figured it would be a laugh. Also it's sort of a good luck thing. If I'm on a stakeout that could potentially be a bigger thing. I always have at the most a couple of sips of that for luck. The first time I did that we caught a serial killer in the act. Saved a couple of lives that day." 

       Liz shared a smile with him and drank some more. The Captain walked over to them and turned to Liz. 

       "You ready?" 

       "Ready as I'll ever be."

*unedited*