Chapter 9

Chapter 9

       Sarah's first thought after she woke up was it is exhausting being her. She has pretended to be someone she's not day after day and she was getting sick of it. There was no way she could do this anymore. 

       Her body was fighting to wake up but her brain? It was miles ahead. She sat up and took a deep breath. There was no way that she could deny it any longer. running away never helped. This was would be the third time she had to relocate. She didn't want to leave Liz.  

       At first, Elizabeth was her best friend, then, when in a drunken daze, made each other their blood sisters. Now, all she could think about was her naked and lying next to her in her bed. If anything, she knew she had to make the call before Liz gets hurt. 

       Sarah moved off the bed and to the closet. Picking a graphic tee that said "You Suck," she pulled skinny jeans on and tennis shoes. She grabbed her purse and opened the door, pausing at Liz's room to listen. She didn't hear anything. She found herself shaking her head at her actions. Walking out of the apartment and down the stairs outside, she made for the closest mini-mart.  

       Exchanging two dollars for change, she then walked to a payphone two city-blocks away from her apartment. She pulled a piece of paper out of her purse, put money in the payphone and dialed the numbers, dread filling her soul. 

       "Detective Thomas, speaking." 

       "Detective Thomas? It's Jennifer Blake. Is there anyway we can meet?"

       "I'll take a coffee, please, black." 

       The waiter told them it will be a couple of minutes and then walked away.  

       "What's wrong Jennifer? Has he found you again? Tried to contact you?" 

       She shook her head roughly and swallowed.  

       "No, nothing like that. Someone's been following me. I've only seen him once but I know that he's still there, even though I haven't seen him since. I'm living with a friend now, Detective. Her name is Elizabeth and she's such an amazing person. I couldn't stand to see her get hurt." 

       She swallowed again. The waiter dropped their coffee off and left the check at the table. She waited a couple of minutes before saying anything. 

       "He hasn't been caught yet?" 

       Detective Thomas shook his head no. 

       "You're the only witness we have for this and we don't have a need for you until we can find him. Jose Garcia is a dangerous man, Jenny. It's best if you keep your cover for now. I'll put a police officer on watch outside your apartment." 

       Jennifer/Sarah nodded her head in agreement. 

       "I appreciate that, Detective. It'll make me feel better. I'll be in touch." 

       She stood up and walked out the door, turning right. She looked back to see Detective Thomas turning left. She breathed in heavily and sighed.  

       She didn't even get to finish her coffee.

       When Sarah got back to the apartment she noted that Elizabeth was gone and she felt sadness and disappoint overwhelm her. She didn't want their friendship to end nor did she want to put her in danger. Her life was in upheaval and there was no way she would drag Liz into it. All she wanted was peace, safety and the lull of a boring life next to her.