Chapter 5

Chapter 5

       It was a couple of weeks after the drama between Liz and Sarah ended. She was having lunch with her friend Benji. They'd been friends for a long time, longer than her and Sarah, and she shared everything with him. 

       She waited until she swallowed her spoonful of potato soup when she looked up at Benji. 

       "Ben what were you thinking when you thought you were gay? I mean, before you came out of the closet?" 

       He turned his brown eyes up at her, wide and questioningly. He swallowed his pasta and took a drink of water before answering. 

       "Well, I was really confused. I wasn't feeling what other boys were feeling about girls and then I ran into someone who helped. He was another boy like me. We were only fourteen at the time and we experimented. I helped him find out he was bisexual and he helped me find out I was gay. What made you ask, Liz?" 

       She ate another spoonful before she looked up at him again. 

       "Because I might be?" 

       He choked on his water and Liz rushed to help him. He coughed a couple of times and tried talking. He then took another drink of water carefully. 

       It was several minutes before he addressed it again. 

       "What makes you think that, sweetie?" 

       She took a deep breath and then told him. Everything. She needed and trusted his opinion. As she was telling him about it and he nodded and practically inhaled the information she gave him. 

       "Does Sarah know you're feeling this way?" 

       Elizabeth quickly shook her head no. 

       "No." 

       He leaned forward, crossing his arms on the table. 

       "Why not? You're best friends, you guys tell each other everything." 

       "What would I say to her? 'Oh by the way Sarah, I think I like you as more than a friend will you please jump into bed with me?'" 

       Benji laughed loudly at that.  

       "Probably not the best idea to start out with that, but the fact that you are thinking about it is a good start." 

       Liz sighed heavily and dug back into her soup again. It was several more minutes before they talked again. 

       "What if you come out with me this weekend? We'll go to a gay club and you can see if you are actually gay or just gay for Sarah." 

       Elizabeth thought about it for a couple of minutes. 

       "Okay. What should I wear? I don't want to stand out too much." 

       Benji laughed. 

       "Honey, you stand out everywhere you go. The world is your oyster and everyone can see you are a pearl." 

       Liz blushed at that and laughed along with him. They paid for their lunch and she walked in the opposite direction of him. 

       The lunch was a good decision. Benji and she never got to hang out as much as before. He was always busy working at his advertising job. She missed him but she never called him because she didn't want to make him feel guilty. They never ran in the same social circles. This was not only her chance to figure out the answers to her questions, but to reestablish herself as friend in Benji's life again.