Chapter20

Maisie's POV

Where are they? Saffi and Barry should have been at the enclosure by now. I've been waiting for ages now. Owen is due in half an hour. Ten minutes go past. Twenty. Twenty five. Thirty. Owen's not back. Thirty five. Where is everybody?! I hear the throaty call of a raptor behind me. Please let them come back soon.

Owen's POV

"What!?" I say in disbelief at the bad news. "Are you sure?" I feverishly ask Saffi and Barry. Oh god.
"We checked about 5 times. She wasn't there," comes the exasperated reply. Ok. I need to check on her. Ok. I got this.
"Go ahead. I'll catch up." I say.
"Owen, have you got them?"
A long pause. Then,
"Yes."

Saffi's POV

We walk back to dad's quad bike. The silent journey back seems to last forever. I feel reluctant to get back, because we failed. We failed, and now she'll be executed. And it's our fault. The trailer that hitches behind our quad bike wasn't there any more, so it was quicker than we expected.... but I wish it had been longer.

Maisie's POV

"Where were you?!" I scream hysterically as I see Barry and Saffi drawing near. 

"Maisie, we've got something to tell you. We searched. We searched really hard. But we couldn't find her," says Saffi, looking down at her shoes.

"Huh? Oh, you mean Phoenix!" I say as I realized what they meant, "She's already here. We've been waiting for you and Owen to get back so we can sort her out."

I see the realization dawn on Saffi's face, then be replaced with something else. Anger? Nah, that's not it, I helped h..... The smile on my face is more of a grimace now as I'm tackled onto the floor and punched in the arm, the stomach, the leg, kicked and slapped until finally...Aaah, I can breath, Barry holds back a shrieking Saffi as I rise unsteadily to my feet. I limp over to the gate of the enclosure, but turn left into the trainer meeting area. As I walk inside, I catch a glimpse of Barry's face. Where I expected to see anger, there is... humor.

Okay, I finally updated! Happy New Year everyone! Sorry for the slow updates, I'm a big procrastinater! How was your New Year's?!