Chapter-12

The next morning I felt extremely groggy and tired. Although, I didn't regret talking with Grant last night. It seems reality is setting in for him about our situation, and it helped me along to.

But my brother won't leave my thoughts. I can't imagine what is happening to him in the hands of S.E.R.O. I know I should say something, do something. But that fear of rejection and hate from what I did that night drives me to not say a word of the truth.

I lazily get out of bed, a slight headache brewing as I take a shower. I thought it would have helped but it only dulls in the slightest. I get dressed in my brand new clothes of leggings and a baggy top and head downstairs.

Normally I would see Abby, but she is not in the kitchen when I arrive.

"You hungry, dear?" I turn to see Martha approaching me, with a great big smile as usual.

At the thought of food my stomach doesn't agree." No, I might have something later." I say and cut in before Martha protests." Have you seen Abby?"

" She's left for the day." I turn around to see the familiar face of Abby's sister, Annie. She smiles to me as she approaches." She's asked me to look after you today."

Before I can say anything Annie casually tilts her head to look over my shoulder." Morning Martha." She says politely and I turn my head to see Martha give a little scowl, mumbling things under her breathe before walking away. I turn back to Annie, who sighs with the shake of her head. She looks to me." Come."

We walk out of the kitchen." What was that about, with Martha?" I question never seeing Martha so dismissive with any one in the pack before.

Annie just chuckles with the hint of annoyance." That's Martha for you when she is upset with someone." She explains." For my daughter's birthday party I wanted to make pink cupcakes but Martha said she would make cannelloni with the filling dyed pink. Then I tried to tell her that children don't really like cannelloni but she got all defensive about it. Long story short I test baked the cupcakes with out permission to use the kitchen, might have burnt them and set off the fire alarm."

I chuckle at the end bit." And she is all huffy puffy over that?"

Annie looks at me surprised." I am guessing you have never met an Italian woman like Martha before. 'The kitchen is their pride'." She says with a fake Italian accent which I laugh at." I still haven't apologized yet, I am going to see if for the first time if she will initiate it."

" Good luck with that." We make it to a living room area, which is mainly empty except two people on the far couch. I recognize Shawn, with who I am assuming is there daughter on his lap. Lily, I met at the BBQ.

" You don't have to look after me, I think I will be alright-"

" I said 'look after', I meant more 'hang out'." She says, a little guilty. She then turns to Shawn and her daughter." We were going to go on a walk today then have a picnic, what do you say?

I bite my lip." I don't want to intrude-"

"Don't be ridiculous." I look over to see Shawn answer, now listening in to our conversation." More the merrier, isn't that right Lily?"

" Yay!" Lily squeals happily and I can't help but laugh with everyone at her reaction.

"Well that's settled." Shawn says, grabbing Lily under her arms as he gets up. He rests her on his hip." We will go get the food, and see you in a bit." Shawn passes us making faces at his daughter who giggles at him.

I was about to follow, willing to help when Annie gently guides me to the couch." Don't worry he can handle it, lets have a little chat."

We sit down, I am a little skeptical what this chat will be but I decide to start the conversation." Lily seems like great little girl."