Chapter-14

I feel myself wake up, but immediately close my eyes again from the harsh lighting of the room. My body is slightly stiff from the hard mattress but when I am about to move I realize my hand is being held.

A little surprised, I slowly blink my eyes open and tilt my head down to see my hand clasping another. My eyes travel up the other person's arm and I am greeted with Grant, fast asleep with his body slumped in the chair. All memories of what happened last night come flooding back.

I wish I could slap myself for being so oblivious to what I was asking. Although I find it odd how Grant answered the questions about his dead family, it was just like he was stating a simple fact compared to something so emotional. I guess we deal with grief in all different ways.

I feel a slight squeeze of my hand and shut my eyes again on instinct. After a slight groan and what seems to be crackling bones, Grants hand in mine goes tense. Still pretending to be asleep, I wait for the possible awkward reaction from Grant but instead receive another gentle squeeze and his thump drawing circles on the back of my hand.

I hear the creak of the chair from when he gets up and then to my surprising disappointment he lets go of my hand. Although, he carefully moves it under the sheets of the bed, before adjusting the blanket up and over my body. I can feel him lingering and I try not to squirm uncomfortably but I finally hear his footsteps and the sliding of the curtains.

--..-.--.-..--.-.-.-.-.-..--..--.-..--.-..--.

After the slight pinch of removing the drip, and the lecture I received, Dr. Norton finally allows me to leave. He also gave me some prenatal vitamins that he seemed to be overly stocked with because not many women in the pack become pregnant.

When walking out of the medical clinic, a two-story section at the back of the pack house, I find myself wondering to the kitchen. Martha was busy discussing recipes for dinner that night and I didn't want to disturb her. In the pantry I look for any food but don't find any snack items. To me it's not bad having fresh ingredients but I started craving something...salty.

Pretzels.

I had read in my new pregnancy book that cravings hit you at any time. I'm groaning when I exit the pantry, my search being unsuccessful in anything I wanted to eat. Pretzels was all I wanted... it was weird I was never fussing about food before.

Out of the kitchen I bump into Abby in the dinner area, row upon row of polished wooden tables, with not many seats occupied.

"Hey when did you get out of the medical clinic?" She asks giving me a quick hug.

"About half an hour ago." I state and that's when I notice Grant pop his head around the entry to the dinning area. When seeing me he smiles, coming around to meet us.

"Its good to see you up and about again, how are you feeling?" Grant asks, and I try and not blush from this morning and what happened with our holding hand situation.

"Much better, Dr. Norton gave me a pretty firm lecture." I say, Abby and Grant chuckle.

"He tends to do that to most of his patients." Grant adds before turning to look at Abby." Ready to go soon?"

Abby rolls her eyes." Ready and waiting."

Grant gives a tight smile, probably trying to restrain himself for once against Abby and her abruptness.

To move the conversation along, I ask." Where are you going?"

" The mall once again." Abby explains." It's an organized monthly trip for anyone in the pack who needs to go shopping because not everyone has a car, and it's a pretty long drive."