Fourteen

Katie was about to dose off at the counter. She got no sleep the night before; Cali wouldn't stop jumping on the bed.

Just as she was about to dose off, she jumped up when the bell above the glass doors rang.

"Welcome to Katie's Vet and Pet Shop," she started, blinking hard.

"Katie! It's an emergency!" She heard Rylee's terrified tone and woke up.

"What's wrong?" She saw Chase in Rylee's arms, she ran around the counter to look. "What happened?"

"I don't know, he just collapsed!"

"Lemme see," She carefully took the sleeping pup from her arms and rushed him to the back of the shop. She checked his pulse, ran a temperature, and did other tests.

She put a portable oxygen mask on him, then carefully picked him up and carried him back out to Rylee.

"Is he okay?" She asked, taking Chase in her arms and holding him close.

"His allergies got to him. The flower smell made him sneeze so much that he was lacking oxygen. He should be fine as long as he doesn't start sneezing again, at least for a while."

"Oh, thank God..." Rylee muttered, letting out a sigh.

"He's just sleeping now. Should wake up in a few hours."

Rylee nodded. "Thanks, Katie. You're a life saver." She looked out the glass. "I better head back. I owe you one."

Katie nodded. "No need. I'd help those pups anytime. Make sure he gets fresh air when he wakes up, and keep him away from flowers."

Rylee nodded, and headed out the door.