Eighteen

"A little more to the left, Chase," Riley called out.

Chase nodded and steered his vehicle in that direction, glancing forward for a split second. It's been a while since he went down the road in reverse. He realized how uneasy Riley was about finally towing Zuma's vehicle back. She refused to move it from the beach during the first initial investigation and blocked off the beach for two weeks after. The mayor finally told her to move it.

Riley directed him up the hill and pushed the vehicle back to where it was supposed to be around the tower, staring at it for a full minute before a slight gleam on the windshield caught her eye.

She put on a glove and reached around, untangling a silver chain with a single blue gem pendant on it.

Then she realized that it was the same pendant Lindsey was wearing the day she arrived.

.....

Marshall went running up the hill as fast as he could, panting heavily when he got to the top. "Riley!"

She was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard him.

"Riley!"

"What, Marshall? What?" She stuffed the pendant in her pocket and bent down to face him.

"I... I found..." He panted, trying to catch his breath.

"What'd you find, boy?"

"Zuma!"