Nineteen

Rylee knew better. She wasn't going in alone. Lord knows what could happen if she did that.

She stood impatiently at the docks, waiting for Cap'n Turbot to get back. She was promised half a squadron, she was expecting half a squadron.

No sooner did Chase started barking. "Rylee! Look!"

She squinted to look. It was his boat. She was praising in her head.

.....

"Is she stable?" The chief asked, taking a final count of his officers.

"Mentally? Highly doubt it." Rylee says, buckling Chase's helmet. "She's got an attitude for sure."

"That's the last thing I'm worried about."

.....

As soon as the door was kicked in, Lindsi started screaming her lungs out as if it were bloody murder. Jerry just kept quiet and put his hands up.

"Get down on the ground!"

"You two, search downstairs. Chase, you're with me." Rylee was calling out orders as she ran in, not heeding any attention to Lindsi as Marshall jumped around, leading her to the room he saw Marshall in.

Rylee pushed all the boxes away, freezing when she saw one covered in a black blanket.

She pulled it away and almost broke down into tears. "Zuma!"

Zuma jumped up, pushing his paws up against the bars as she quickly unlatched the locks. He jumped into her arms and everything when quiet, Rylee holding him close. "Oh, my god... I was so worried."

....

Rylee held Zuma close as she carried him out, Marshall and Chase following close behind as Lindsi fought​ not to be shoved into the back of an armored vehicle, screaming hysterically.

Rylee watched her go in horror, then sat Zuma down and when up to the Sheriff. "Where's Jerry?"

"We're about to transfer him. Why?" The sheriff asks.

"I don't want to press charges on him."

"But he's an accessory to the crime."

"He doesn't deserve to to the slammer. Focus the charges on Lindsi."

He just shrugged and tore the packet with Jerry's case file written on it in half. "Whatever you say."

She smiled and went back over to her pups, sitting down in the grass with them as they played.

She couldn't help but smile.

This is how it's supposed to be. She wouldn't​ want it any other way.