Chapter One

“You did well Serene.” I bowed my head to her. For the past year she has been training me to control my powers. I closed my eyes. My year would be up tomorrow and I would be free to leave and go where I please, but to where would be the question I needed an answer to. “Look at me Serene.” I opened my eyes slowly and did as she said. “Your mind is your most powerful weapon. Stay aware Serene.” I bowed to her again.

“I will remember.” I turned to walk away only to be stopped. I looked at her hand and then to her.

 “Tomorrow will be your last day with us. I would say you need to stay for that last day, but I would be lying to you.” She let out a sigh. “You’re free to go, but always remember you have a home here with me.” I smiled at her.

“Thank you Siriniti, for everything. This is the only place I know and if I ever need to ill return.” She dropped my arm, stepped closer, and kissed me on the cheek. When she pulled away I looked into her eyes and saw the longing in them. I Smiled at her. She walked past me and disappeared. It was finally over. I was free to leave.

 “I thought you would have left by now. Why the hesitation?” I turned to look at Voltaire. He was Siriniti’s mate, and my other mentor. I frowned.

“It’s hard to leave the only place I know. I’ll miss the both of you, no matter how frustrating it got sometimes.” We both laughed. He walked to me and stopped beside me.

“You were a headache yourself sometimes, but the moments will be cherished none the less. I am curious though. Where will you go once you leave here?” I frowned at him not knowing the answer. “Oh I see. You haven’t figured it out yet.” He folded his arms. “You should go to your brother.” I looked at him. “He is an ancient also. Who knows he might be able to teach you something new.”

 “What about my memory?” “That will be your own personal task.” He put his hand on the side of my face and I leaned into it. “We can’t tell you who you are Serene. You have to find that out for yourself.”

“Your right, but a little memory of my past wouldn’t hurt.” I covered his hand with my own. “I love you Voltaire. You and Siriniti are my parents.” He leaned forward and kissed me on my head.

“It feels that way, which is why this is harder than ever to let you go. If you ever need anything just call out and well come.”

“He’s right Serene.” I turned to Siriniti. “All you have to do is call out to us.” She was now standing next to Voltaire. I looked at them with pure admiration.

“Go to your brother. You need to be around him now.” I wanted to say something, but the words were caught in my throat. “We’ll send you close to him.” She let go of Voltaire and stepped closer to me. When she held out her hand a white rose appeared. I took it from her. “Good bye Serene.” Before I could say anything she put her hand on my cheek and I found myself standing in the woods. I laughed.

“You could have at least let me tell you I loved you.” I put the Flower in my head and began to sniff the air. I needed to hunt before this journey began. I stopped and closed my eyes letting my senses reach out. Instantly I could feel an animal nearby. My eyes popped open and my feet carried me towards the scent. It took only minutes for me to find my prey. I edged closer not wanting to alert it.

It was a female cougar, fully matured and her size was perfect. As I edged closer I could see her body tense up. I smiled knowing my surprise was over. I pounced towards her and she jumped out the way just as I was about to grab her. She turned towards me baring her teeth. I smirked at her. “You’re a feisty one.” The cougar narrowed its eyes at me.

“Aww don’t look so disappointed little cat.” The cougar eyes went wide and she covered her teeth. My smile faded and instantly the hunter in me took over. Cougar’s attack anyone they feel is a threat, the fact that this one was hesitating was unsettling. I crouched down and growled, but what the cougar did next surprised me more than anything. It began to stand on its hind legs. Its body vibrated and it began to transform into a woman. I let a hiss rip through my lips and I barred my teeth.