Chapter four

“Serene.” His voice was heaven to my ears, but it confused me as to why it was here. Fear began to settle in. Did I fail in saving him? “Open your eyes Serene.” I frowned.

“Did I fail at saving your life after all?” There was movement and then I felt the warmth of a body next to me. I groaned when I felt a hand on my face.

“We aren’t dead Serene. All you have to do is open your eyes and see for yourself.” I sighed and slowly opened my eyes. Instantly I was mesmerized and swimming in those deep green pools. He smiled down at me and I swear I felt my heart stop. “We are far from dead. You saved me, and I must thank you for that.” Slowly I shook my head.

 “You saved me, and I told you that your blood…tainted me. It is I who should be saying thank you and please forgive me.”He leaned towards me never looking away. When he was just a whisper away from me he stopped.

“I forgive you Serene.” I almost moaned at the feel of his breath on me…almost. A whimper floated through the air. Dmitri leaned up and looked behind him. I swallowed the lump in my throat and finally took in my surroundings. We were in the cave. How did I get here? I don’t remember… Dmitri turned back and looked at me.

“I brought you here. I couldn’t leave you in the woods alone.” Another whimper went through the air. I sat up and turned towards the entrance of the cave. The three wolves from before sat there looking at us. Dmitri stood up and walked over to them. “It is alright. We are ok.” They stood and jumped on him bringing him down efficiently. His laugh floated through the cave. It vibrated off the walls and straight to my heart. His laugh was beautiful, just like him. He pushed them off, sat up and turned towards me. I smiled.

“They are beautiful.” He pulled the smallest one in his lap.

“This little feisty one is Katara.” He nodded to the dark brown one. “That is her mother Sasha, and her father Silver.” Silver looked at Dmitri and then back to me. We stared at each other for a second before he began to inch towards me. When Silver stopped in front of me and lay down I looked at Dmitri unsure of what to do. He smiled at me. “Go ahead and touch. Reassure him that you are fine.” I slowly reached for him and hesitated above his head. I looked at Dmitri again. He nodded and gave me another reassuring smile. With that I put my hand on Silver head and instantly memories began to flood back into my mind.  I pulled my hand away and put it to my head when the memories stopped.

“Serene.” I shook my head trying to make sense of what I saw. “Serene.” I dropped my hand and stood up. He frowned.

“Who are you?” He began to answer, but I held my hand up to stop him.

“No more lies Dmitri. That day in your room Morgan called me mistress royal. At first I didn’t think about it, but when I was in the tub I couldn’t recall you saying my last name. Before I left I ran into Flower. She asked why I was leaving if I just came back. You shed a tear for me right before I fell unconscious.” I dropped my head. “A year ago I lost my memory when I was awakening as an ancient. If you have something to do with my past please Dmitri…” I looked at him, and ignored how blurry he was. “I need to know who you are to me.” He put Katara down and stood.

“Silver take them home.” Without hesitation Silver led Sasha and Katara out the cave. When they were gone silence hung heavy for us. When he made no move to answer my question I dropped my head and let the tears flow. He sighed. “Please don’t cry Serene.” I felt his hand on the side of my face. He lifted it up and I stared into his eyes. I saw the same pain and longing look from before. “You know who I am.” I frowned.

“I told you-” He put a finger over my lips and shook his head.

“I heard what you said, but your words held no truth. Don’t listen to your mind right now…listen to your heart. Was that not how you found me? ”I nodded my head. His hand caressed my cheek and then wrapped around the back of my neck. “Tell me what do you feel when I touch you like this, and answer with your heart.” I licked my lips.