Chapter 1

Cover by: Ammad Malik

Portfolio: www.designedup.weebly.com

*Sky*

The first day of my sophomore year was tomorrow, and I was dreading it.

A few weeks ago, I couldn't wait for this day to come. Jason had finally asked me out. He had come through like a hurricane; he was kind and sweet. He always listened to the things I had to say.

He respected me, and I loved that about him.

But of course, happy endings are nothing but fairy tales. It only took Jason five months to throw all we had away. It was at a party four weeks ago; he decided at the last minute to go. I had fallen asleep that night thinking he was at home since that's where he said he would be.

The next morning I woke to message after message with pictures of him kissing Lexi. I must have stared at the pictures forever, so shocked even to move. How could he do this to me? Not only did he cheat, but he did it in public with no regard to how that would make me feel. Everyone knew I felt stupid; how could I think that he had ever even cared about me.

I had a message after message from Jason, but I deleted them without even reading them. There was no point it was over, no matter what he had to say. I sent one text back, "It's over, please delete my number from your phone.

There is no excuse that you can tell me that will make this better, so please do not waste my time and yours. Any text you send will be in vain; everything you send I'm deleting without reading. It's too bad you were not who I thought you were. I hope it was worth it!"

I closed my eyes, thinking that tomorrow was going to be crazy. I had not spoken to Jason since I sent that text; despite all the noise, messages, and phone calls he made, I ignored him. Tomorrow would be here soon enough, and I would finally have to face the boy that broke my heart.

I woke up feeling like a train had hit me, I was tired, and my anxiety was working overtime. I took a breath to help calm myself; I could do this. All I had to do was not crack; the less affected I looked, the easier it would be to get through this.

I dressed in a pair of skinny black jeans paired with a purple tank. I pulled my hair into a high ponytail added some eyeliner and a bit of lip gloss. I grabbed my backpack and hurried down the stairs. I knew mom would throw a fit if I didn't at least eat a muffin, so I made a quick detour through the kitchen. I grabbed the keys to the beautiful blue navigator my parents had given me for my 16th birthday and headed out the door.

Pulling into the parking lot was making my heart beat fast and my making my mind run a hundred miles an hour. I parked in a spot at the back of the lot, grabbed my bag, and started walking towards the school. Raven was waiting for me at the front steps. She had been my best friend since first grade. Trevor walked over to us and pulled me into a hug. He was Raven's older brother; he was 18 and a senior this year. He was always kind to me; he always looked out for me.

"Cheer up, princess, " he said, finally letting me go. I looked up into his ocean blue eyes, and for the first time, I saw what all the girls saw in him. He was beautiful; his gallant nature only made him more appealing. He was the captain of the football team, and Jason was co-captain. I knew that Trevor wanted nothing more than to knock his teeth out. Despite them being friends since forever.

What the heck was my problem? I moved as far from him as I could get without looking crazy. When I finally had the nerve to look up, he was staring at me.

"Sky, everything is going to be fine. That jerk will be lucky if I don't beat his cheating ass. You're not alone, I plan on keeping that loser as far from you as possible." Raven said, grabbing my hand and pulling me behind her.