Chapter 23

*

*Stephen*

One month later

I sat in my car for what felt like forever before I gained the courage to get out of the vehicle; every step closer to her door was torture.

I reluctantly sent her a text telling her I was here.

The last month had been amazing between Sky and me. True to my word, I had come up and bought a house across town from her. We had been spending a lot of time together. I was happy and optimistic about building a life with her.

The door flew open, and Sky rushed out of the house and into my arms.

"Hey," Sky said as I closed my arms around her, lifting her into my arms, wishing that I could hold her like this forever. The knowledge of knowing it was over after tonight was like a punch to my gut.

I knew that I would never recover from this.

"What's wrong?" She asked, pulling away from me.

"You look sick?"

I stood there quiet for a few seconds trying to find the words to say what needed to be said.

"Stephen," she pushed, wanting answers.

I looked away, not able to stand her gaze on me.

"I'm going to be a father," I said as I watched confusion and then realization flash through her eyes.

"You cheated on me?" She asked, hurt in her voice.

"How could you?"

Sky said, tears in her eyes.

"It's not what you think. I would never do that to you, Sky," I said, needing her to believe me.

"Hear me out," I begged her.

You are not going to like what I'm about to say, but I have to say it. You deserve the truth. A few months before you moved back here, I was struggling. My feelings were growing to the point that I could no longer act like I didn't love you. I was thinking about you every second I was awake." He said, his eyes meeting mine.

"I was a mess over you. I wanted to drive this love out. I didn't deserve you, Sky, I still don't. I was in love with someone who I thought could never love me back. I was partying hard and having sex even harder. Meaningless one-night stands that I don't even remember. I was fighting to push you from my every thought from my heart." I said, desperate to explain the mess I had created.

"So many women and still all I wanted was you. You know how often I was with someone new. The girl showed up on my doorstep a few days ago, and I didn't tell you right away because I wanted to make sure that it was even true. I have no memory of her or the night she said we were together, but doctors confirmed earlier she's pregnant, and DNA says the baby is mine." I said, feeling dead inside.

"

I know who you are, Stephen, and I still love you. I'm not going to be mad at something that happened before we were together. We can get through this." Sky said, taking my hand in hers.

"It's not that simple," I said, pain in my eyes.

"Why not?" She asked, confused.

I took a step back, needing a second to gather my thoughts. I was desperate to find the right way to explain this to her.

"For any child of mine to have a claim to Blue Diamond, they must be legitimate. I have to be married to their mother when they are born." I said, wanting to throw up.