Chapter 21

*Sky*

Stephen was playing the piano. I thought as I sat up still not all the way awake. I looked at my phone. It was 3:15 in the morning. Why wasn't he asleep? I got out of bed and pulled my hair up before making my way downstairs. I watched him from the entryway, his face so caught in emotion. I was sure he was trying to shake off the ugliness of last night.

I walked over to him, slipping onto the bench next to him without a word.

He smiled but kept playing, never skipping a beat.

"I'm learning more and more about you, Mr. De La Cruz. Like the fact that you enjoy playing at all hours of the night." I teased, smiling up at him, admiring just how handsome he was.

"It helps me clear my head. It also helps me relax. After the night we just had, I could play for hours. It doesn't hurt that, the last few times I've managed to summon you." He grinned. "That's always a good thing. Your beautiful face has me enchanted."

The sound of whatever song he was playing had me mesmerized. He was so gifted.

"When did you learn to play the piano?"

"I started at 5. My Abuelo plays the piano beautifully; he taught me. It was something that we did together. We have performed many pieces together." He's smiled proudly.

"Music has a way of transforming into anything you need it to be. It helps expel pain, sadness. It also can express love, longing, heartbreak, and everything in between."

"You are more profound and in tune with your feelings than you ever showed me," I said, something stirring inside me.

He grinned at my words, his fingers dancing across the keys.

"Have you written anything?" I asked, curious.

"Of course," he answered.

"Will you show me?"

His fingers lifted from the keys, and he turned to look at me, considering my question.

"Okay," he said, placing his hands once more on the keys.

The melody was beautifully daunting, just like him.

"It's beautiful," I gushed, making him smile.

"Why didn't you do this professionally?"

"Duty."

"I don't understand," I asked.

"My family's company won't run itself. I'm the only one who can tanto the future. My parents are not fit to be in control. My Abuelo is waiting for me so they can retire." He said no trace of sadness or regret in his eyes.

All these hidden attributes just kept surprising me.

"Seriously, what have you done with my best friend? How did you suddenly get so mature?"

I laughed.

He grinned, drawing me into his arms.

"Do you honestly miss that knucklehead?" He laughed.

"Yes, I do. He is who I grew to consider one of my closest friends." I grinned, knowing that I loved both sides of him equally.

We sat in silence for a few seconds, his eyes searching mine for something.

A smile spread across his face as he lifted my face to his.

"I'm sorry about tonight, Sky. My parents were way out of line." He said

"I'm a tuff girl Stephen. I can take it. As long as you want me around in any capacity, I'm here. No one is going to scare me off. I care about you. I really want us to work." I said, placing my hand on his cheek to reassure him that I was just fine.