Chapter 13

*Trevor*

Having her in my arms felt so right. I knew that I should let go of her, but I just couldn't. I picked her up, carried her over to my bed, and put her down a little too quickly, which caused her to gasp in surprise.

I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself. So many emotions were running through my body like an electric current with nowhere to go. My body was on fire everywhere; Sky's bare skin had touched when I had her in my arms. I needed to take a second to clear my head. I was on the verge of falling off the cliff. She was nowhere ready to deal with how intense I could be.

How long had I dreamed of having her in my room like this?

Without thinking, I kneeled in front of her and took her hand and placed it over my heart.

"If only you knew how much being near you affects me," I said, meeting her eyes.

I wanted her to feel for herself how my heart raced when she was close. I needed her to know that what I was saying to her was more than just words.

What did Stephen have that I didn't?

I thought to myself.

"Why him and not me?" I asked, looking up at her, my heart about to beat out of my chest. I was desperate to know the answer.

She fiddled with her phone for a few seconds before she met my eyes.

"It's not a matter of choosing one or the other, Trevor. When I got back, I had no idea that things would go down the way they did. I had no clue that you felt the way you do about me. That day in the hospital, when you confessed your feeling to me, I was shocked.

Things between Stephen started as a way for him to protect me from Jason and then eventually you." She said, frowning.

"What would you have had me do? I had two crazy jealous physios looking for any way to hurt me because their boyfriends had a thing for me. Tell me, how was I supposed to defend myself? When you wouldn't. Stephen did his best to keep their focus off me. How could they be mad if I had a boyfriend, right? Wrong! You and Jason did not make it easy for me. I cannot control how someone feels, Trevor. No matter what I did, these girls had it out for me."

The look of pain that crossed her face had my heartbreaking. Jason and I had caused her a lot of pain and problems. She wore a black eye for weeks because Carrie couldn't deal with how Jason still felt about her.

"Let's turn the tables for a second. Tell me why you stayed with Destiny even after you confessed your feelings for me? Why string her along?" She asked, making me feel like a complete asshole.

I had an entirely satisfactory answer to her question. I was afraid of her rejecting me.

"I couldn't get past the fact that you might not feel the same for me. That I could lose your friendship was scary. I've been in love with you for so long that I wasn't willing to risk it. I never meant to hurt you or cause Destiny to hate you. I 'm sorry, Sky," I said, taking my desk chair and sitting across from her.

Her phone chose that moment to ring. She looked down at her phone and back up at me.

"It's Stephen. I need to answer this." She said, walking across the room.

"I'm glad you made it safe. When are you coming back?" She said into the phone.

"I'm here with Trevor," She said, looking over at me.

"It's a very long crazy story," she said, laughing.

From its looks, Stephen was not the least bit worried that she was here with me. Did he honestly think that I was not a threat?